023

Spencer Tracey

I've never really talked so deeply about my foster homes before. Anybody that asked or cared to know, I'd just give you a brief summary of them all – some were good, others not so much and it was changed so frequently. But now Percy was making me talk about them and I didn't know how I felt. I wasn't all that bad though.

"We were under a care of this man, people called him Jeff but his name was Nicholas Jeffrey. He wasn't a nice man at all. He made us work, little as we were, the oldest was a girl name Sam. He'd beat us black and blue if things didn't go right or we didn't make enough as he was expecting. He'd get drunk, smash this around and beat us up. Whenever the supervisors from the system were coming, he'd polish us up and ask us to be of good behavior else he'll cut our eyes off. Made us believe we were worthless and inferior else we would've been with our real parents and not go around bothering other people with our garbage. Made us believe we had to pay for everything, nothing ever came free or nicely, including love." I paused and I felt Percy squeeze my hand. I smiled at him, "I think he liked me most, I was the most brilliant. Always trying to do my part and impress him, always studying, trying never to lag behind. Maybe that's why he forced me to watch him have sex with a prostitute one time, said something about teaching me how to 'do it like a man'!"

"That's horrible Spence."

I nodded, "It was not always bad, we were really unlucky that time. The system is actually good. Someone got wind of what was going on and alerted the police. He was arrested and we were transferred to different places, never to see again."

"God, I hope he's still alive so I can kill him myself," Percy gritted out.

I smiled, that's so hot. "That's great of you to consider."

He spun me around to face him. "Spence I'm going to be your family, your friend, your boyfriend, your anything you want me to be. And I'll never leave you."

His words got to me, made my heart skip a beat and made me feel bubbles in my stomach. I was surprised by the fact that his words didn't scare me, made me feel safe and special. I actually believed him.

I grinned. "We'll be the perfect family ever, especially after my mom gets out. She'll love you Percy."

It wasn't that noticeable but I saw it, the little change in his face at the mention of my mom. "What? What's wrong?"

He shook his head, "Nothing." I kept looking at him, not buying it at all. He sighed. "Maybe I'm a bit nervous about getting to know your mom. What if she doesn't like me?"

"She would. She'll love you Percy."

He nodded, "I should worry over nothing, guess I'm just tired."

"Let me see you off to your house then."

"And go home alone? No way, I'm seeing you off first." He pressed stubbornly.

"Last I checked, I'm the older one here." I said crossing my arms.

He huffed. "With barely one year."

"Still something, my decision overrides yours," I pause to think. "And it's not barely, you dummy."

"I'm bigger." He stated smugly with a smirk.

I pouted, "let me take you home Percy, just this once I'll be fine."

"You sure?" He narrowed his eyes at me.

"Yeah," I shrugged. "I could even take your car."

"Hmm."

We turned around, holding hands as we walked to his house. It felt nice, like he was mine and I was his. I had a good feeling about the trial and error thing. I don't think I've ever felt this way towards someone. No one has ever paid attention to me like Percy did. I sometimes asked myself what it was exactly that he saw in me but I don't think I'm ever going to get an answer and that was fine. He liked me was what mattered.