031

Percy Flynn

"I'm Brenda, I'm a freshman in college. I'm bipolar and I once pushed my sister down the stairs during a manic period." Her green eyes darted around the circle. "She didn't die and I'm getting better. Taking my drugs now."

There was silence and then everybody clapped for her, I looked over at Spencer and he wasn't looking as tensed as he was when we first got in here.

"Okay, thank you Brenda for sharing that." The guy that led this group, Gideon said, and then his eyes moved and rested on me. "Now, how about you, mind sharing what brought you here?"

I gulped looking over at Spence one last time, before clearing my throat. "I'm Percy, I'm a junior in high school. I-- um, my girlfriend cheated on me and I know it probably isn't a big deal compared to other things but, I guess it kind of lowered my self esteem a bit. I don't let it show but... I'm really scared of not being enough." I gulped, holy shit. "--not being good enough to be loved."

The room fell silent again, and then went up in applause. I looked over at Spencer and he was already looking at me. I smiled at him and he did.

"Thank you for sharing that Percy and no problem is too big or too small in here." The man said, then turned to Spencer. "How about you?"

Spence was biting hard on his lip and I nodded at him silently telling him that he could do it. "I-- I'm Spencer, a senior in high school. I spent most of my life being an orphan and going through foster homes, then I found my mom and then I lost her to cancer." He gulped. "I have abandonment issues. I get attached, some times more than I should and I do stupid things. I'm probably depressed and..." He looked over at me, our eyes locking. "I guess, the bottom line is I want to get better. I want to be a better person for me and for the ones I love."

*

We walked into the gym, spotting James immediately as he stood giving orders to a group of guys and girls lifting dumbbells. He was sweaty already, his muscles bulging out from everywhere.

"Oh hey Percy, long time no see." He said walking over after we waved.

"I can't say I haven't missed you. Unfortunately," I replied smiling and taking note of his darker red hair.

"Awe. Give daddy a hug." He said opening his arms wide and I cringed dodging out of the way.

"Um, no way in hell," Spencer's chuckle brought James's attention to him.

"Oh hey, brother. How's it been?"

"Fine, nice to see you," Spencer said shaking hands with the sweaty piece of meat.

"Sorry, I was just trying to catch up with my wife over here." He winked at me and I rolled my eyes.

"What was I saying about missing you? I take back everything."

He ignored me. "And, I'm really sorry about your mum."

Spencer shrugged. "Thank you."

"Great, now that all is said and done. Get back to work boss." I put my arm over Spencer's shoulder directing us to our destination.

"I should be telling you that!"

"Are you sure I'm not going to be a distraction to you. I could just sit out there and watch." Spencer said adorably.

"Spence, I'm here because of you. You are not going to sit anywhere unless by my side." I paused. "Not to be possessive or anything. Just saying."

He smiled. "Okay..."