Chapter 7 - A Broken Promise

Papyrus stares at Chara with scared eyes. He realized he majorly messed up, but realized it much too late. Chara looked livid with him.

P: *c-chara, wait, i can-

C: *NO, YOU CAN'T EXPLAIN!
*YOU ALMOST KILLED HER!! YOU WOULD HAVE KILLED HER IF I DIDN'T SAVE HER!
*WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?!

P: *sh-she made s-sans so upset, i thought-

C: *YOU BROKE OUR PROMISE, PAPYRUS! WE WERE IN NAPSTABOT'S CLUB, AND YOU HELD MY HAND, AND PROMISED ME YOU WOULDN'T HURT ANYBODY!
*DOES THAT PROMISE MEAN NOTHING TO YOU?!

P: *honey, please-

C: *DON'T YOU "HONEY" ME!!
*FRISK ALMOST DIED!
*HOW THE HELL WOULD SANS FEEL IF THE WOMAN HE LOVED DIED BECAUSE OF HIS OWN BROTHER?!

Those words shot through Papyrus' fragile heart. He had failed his brother, his lover, and had become an even worse person than the woman who killed everything he cared about. He had truly become evil, and he knew it.

P: *...
*i understand…

C: *You understand what?!

P: *i understand what you want.
*i'm going to leave you alone now, chara.
*i'm sorry for what i did.
*i'm going to muffets… or somewhere…

Papyrus solemnly gets up, and slowly walks out of the house. This does not sit well with Chara, and she sprints after him.

C: *Papyrus, where are you going?? You can't just run away from your problems!

P: *i'm not running, i'm barely walking.

C: *Papyrus, we need to talk about this!!
*How can we fix anything if you avoid it??

P: *isn't that what i always do.

C: *Papyrus! Come o-

But Papyrus had teleported away before she could continue calling for him. She shouts out a loud swear before running to Muffet's.
She arrives, and Muffet immediately notices her.

M: *Ah. After Papyrus, are we, dearie?

C: *Please tell me he's here…

M: *He is in the back, he said he's taking some time to think, um…
*Dearie, he sounded very hurt. What happened between you two?

C: *It's… a long story. Just… please let me back there to talk to him. I can't leave him like this, I'm his girlfriend!

M: *Of course, dearie, right this way.

Muffet leads Chara to the backroom, which is actually a bedroom with three beds in it. She doesn't stop to question this, as she sees Papyrus mulling over a cigarette in his hands, with a dejected look. He doesn't even look up when she enters.

M: *I'll leave you two to work this out. Please come out ok, dearies...

Muffet leaves back to attend her parlor, and Chara shuts the door, and turns on the lights. Papyrus' right eye is faintly glowing orange, and his cigarette isn't even lit.

C: *Papyrus, I-

P: *do you remember, chara?
*do you remember the very first run?
*when you killed some, spared some…
*you kept my brother alive… you kept me alive…
*we didn't make it to the surface, but we were still happy…
*and then you reset… and you reset again… and again… and again… and again… and again…
*until you lost your mind… and killed us all.
*don't deny it… frisk told me what you two did.
*we both know i remember what happened…
*and you do too, don't you?