Chapter 10 - Dwindling Confidence

Frisk had run out of the house after her unfortunate run-in with Papyrus, and after being healed, ran towards where Sans had dashed off to. She caught up with him as he was slouched over, catching his breath.

S: *W-WOAH… I.. SHOULDN'T EXERT MYSELF LIKE THAT…

F: *Sans!! Please stop running, I want to help you!!

Sans turns around to see Frisk bounding towards him. He thinks for a moment to keep running, but has no strength left to try. So, he just sits down on the ground, and responds.

S: *W-WHAT IS IT, FRISK? HERE TO TAUNT ME? RUB SALT IN MY WOUNDS?!

F: *N-No, I just want to know what's wrong? Why did you run off, Sans? What happened?

S: *WHAT DO YOU THINK HAPPENED?! I HEARD YOU THROUGH THAT DOOR! I KNOW YOU AND MY BROTHER ARE IN LOVE!!

F: *WHAT?!

S: *YOU SAID SO YOURSELF!!

F: *NO I DID NOT! I NEVER SAID ANYTHING LIKE THAT!
*ME AND PAPYRUS MAY HAVE A BAD HISTORY BUT NOTHING LIKE THAT!

S: *W-WAIT… WHAT?...

F: *Sans, I don't know how you interpreted what I said, but please let me explain myself. You're clearly in pain and I wish to help you…

S: *O-OK…

F: *I called Napstabot and Mettablook to tell them the good news that I was going to ask you out.

S: *W-WHAT?!

F: *Papyrus told me a lot during our… conversation.
*Including that you have feelings for me.

S: *OH MY GOD… PLEASE END ME…

F: *Sans, don't be like that!

S: *YES, BECAUSE I TOTALLY WANTED PAPYRUS TO BE THE ONE TO TELL YOU.
*FRISK, I-

F: *Sans, please let me explain. I actuall-

S: *I'M SORRY.

F: *You should-
*What? Sorry?
*Sorry for what?

S: *FOR HAVING THESE FEELINGS TOWARDS YOU. IT MUST COME OFF AS ANNOYING OR INCESSANT.
*I KNOW YOU HAVE A DARK PAST AND A CHILDISH MONSTER IS THE LAST PERSON YOU'D FALL FOR.

F: *Sans-

S: *I'M A STARRY-EYED MONSTER WHO MAKES TACOS AND BAD PUZZLES.
*YOU'RE A HUMAN WOMAN WITH PLACES TO GO AND OTHER HUMANS TO MEET.
*BEING WITH ME WOULD JUST SLOW YOU DOWN.

F: *San-

S: *I'M SORRY FOR EVERYTHING, FRISK.
*YOU DESERVE SOMEONE S-SO MUCH MORE MAGNIFICENT THAN ME…
*AT LEAST I-I CAN L-LIVE WITH THE KNOWLEDGE THAT I T-TRIED…

Sans starts tearing up, but Frisk puts her hands on his shoulders, and pulls him closer.

F: *Sans, listen to me, and listen to me good.
*None of what you just said is a true statement.
*I am not someone who wants to meet more humans, nor am I someone who has somewhere else to be.
*I live with you and the other monsters, permanently.
*I may have a dark past, but it's out in the open now and has been resolved.
*And… you falling for me is not a bad thing!

S: *F-FRISK-

F: *You have doubts about yourself, Sans. Everyone has self-doubt, it's just natural!
*But I want you to know, that there is no one, NO ONE, more magnificent than The Magnificent Sans.

Sans' starry eyes light up once again when she says that, and the tears fade away. He puts his arms around her and hugs her tightly, and she hugs back.

S: *FRISK, WILL YOU GIVE ME THE CHANCE TO BE A MAGNIFICENT BOYFRIEND TO YOU?
*I PROMISE NOT TO DISAPPOINT!!

F: *Of course, Sans.
*Who could deny such a royal request~

S: *MWEH HEH HEH!~

The pair get up, and Sans puts his hand in Frisk's. They smile at each other, and start to walk back home. But before then, Sans has a request.

S: *U-UM, FRISK?
*I HAVE A… QUESTION…

F: *What is it, dear?

S: *U-U-UM… SO…
*YOU KNOW THAT THING THAT PAPY AND CHARA DO A LOT?
*WITH THEIR FACES?

F: *Do you mean kissing?

S: *YES, THAT!
*IF IT IS NOT AN UNREASONABLE REQUEST…
*MAY WE ALSO DO THAT?...

F: *I thought you'd never ask~

Frisk turns to her side, and brings Sans' face close to hers, and puts her arms around him. She closes her eyes, as Sans puts his hands under her hair, and closes his eyes.

And for the first of many times to come, their lips meet, and they have had their first kiss.

(Don't worry, the story is not over just because they kissed, there's still plenty of content to come~)