reminisce

"fun my ass. i know exactly what you would've done to her if i hadn't shown up. you're lucky i don't call carson in here. now who did you guys- holy shit." matt immediately cut off his own words as soon as he made eye contact with me.

"y/n? ho-how did you find this place? what the hell were you even doing so late at night? oh my god i have so many questions." i let out a laugh as i ran over to him and gave him a hug.

"oh so you know the blue haired bimbo?" the tall guy, whom i'm assuming is ted, asked. i pulled out my switchblade and pointed it at him.

"you're already getting on my last nerve, watch it." i growl, earning a laugh from matt. i flipped the blade closed and shoved it back into my pocket. "i actually do know her, a childhood friend. if i catch you doing this shit again, you're dead, all of you." matt said, pointing his finger at everyone.

he put his arm around my shoulder and led me into whatever room he came out of when he found me. it was some sort of lounge area, kinda like the one outside the room but smaller.

there was a couch, a pool table, darts, a desk with papers scattered about, and a few decorations here and there. the more i thought about it the more i thought of it as an office. i took a seat on the couch and matt took a seat next to me.

he offered me some wine that i hadn't noticed was sitting on a table right next to the couch. i thanked him and took a sip, setting it down on a small coffee table.

"so my first question, how are you? how have you been? what have you been up to? man it's been so many years since i've last seen you." he says. this conversation was making me feel old.

"i'm doing well. i've taken quite a break on my sprees and what not. but for the most part things have been great" i say, bringing my legs up onto the couch and sitting criss crossed.

we reminisced about plenty of things that have been going on, but it was mainly matt telling me about how his life was going. apparently he owned this place along with someone named carson, which i had no idea who he was.

matt also said that apparently the boys in the other room were apart of his gang. i'd never seen or heard about his gang until now, which surprised me because i knew almost every gang in California.

after about another hour of us talking, it finally grew quiet, neither of us having anything to say. i took a long sip of my wine until i heard matt clear his voice and speak up.

"hey, i know there's a huge possibility you won't know the answer to this, but do you have any idea at all how the others are doing? fitz? mason? swagger? bordie? i haven't heard anything about them since we kinda went our separate ways, and i just want to know if they're doing alright." he said it all so rushed i could barely understand a word of what he said.

he gave me a sheepish smile and scratched the back of his neck, looking down. i put on a soft smile and lifted up matt's face to look at mine.

matt was always the sweetest out of the group, the kind of guy that anyone could get along with. he's also the one that cared the most about our friend group. from what i heard from the others, he was devastated when he found out i'd ran away, and it broke my heart to know i hurt him.

"actually i have. believe it or not they live with me, along with another gang i've joined. they're all doing great by the way. if you ever want to stop by, you're more then welcome to." i say, dropping my hand from his face onto his shoulder.

his face immediately lit up, excitement sparkling in his eyes. a big smile was plastered onto his face, but was quickly covered up by a look of confusion.

"wait how did you find them? and who is this new 'gang' you've joined? please don't tell me it's the one that you ran away for." he asks, making air quotations with his fingers around the word gang.

i roll my eyes at the air quotations but let it go.

"no it's not the gang i 'ran off for'-" now it was my turn to use air quotations "-it's a gang full of a bunch of pretty cool guys. the BBS is what they call themselves."

matt gave out a short laugh, more of a sarcastic one if any, and a very subtle eye roll. what the hell is up with him? i decide to ignore it once more and continue my story.

"i also didn't technically find the Misfits, they found me and my gang. they broke into our house, thinking it was someone else's, and they planned on robbing us until they realized i lived there. they were going to leave but they just got evicted from their place, so i offered to them if they wanted to come live with me. and now here we are." i explain, bringing my arms out and gesturing to my surroundings.

matt gave a small nod and looked away from me, staying quiet. this time i wasn't going to ignore it.

"is there something on your mind? you seem upset about something, did i say something wrong?" i ask, worried that i'd already broken the bond that we just mended.

he shook his head and let out a bitter laugh. "i just don't understand why you had to go out and join the BBS, or whatever they call themselves? why couldn't you have just joined the Misfits? you know, your original friend group that you've known for forever?" he says, leaning back into the couch.

now i was getting angry. "first of all, i had absolutely no idea where any of you were after i ran away, so how was i supposed to know you guys were going to form a gang? second of all, i made a deal with the BBS, and we all know that you can't break deals, especially when in gangs. and third of all, you're not even in the Misfits, so stop riding my ass about it." i felt my tone rising, but i took a few deep breaths to calm myself down.

matt slammed his drink onto the coffee table, shattering the wine glass. quite startled, i gave him a look of worry/horror as i stared at his hand that now had a few cuts in it, blood starting to seep out.

he ran his non-injured hand through his hair, standing up. to stop some of the bleeding he bunched up the bottom of his shirt and wrapped it around his hand.

with a long moment of silence, matt finally spoke up. "i'm sorry for getting so angry. it's just that-" he gave a slight pause, trying to find the right words.

"- i know the BBS. they're not as great as they make themselves out to be. i wouldn't trust them if i were you." he says. he unwrapped his hand and started pulling bits of glass shards out from it.

"what the hell are you on about matt? i've known these boys for a while and they've even saved my life. i think i'd know whether or not to trust them." i scoff, folding my arms.

he let out another bitter laugh, but this time he looked up at me. after studying his face, i realized that he had more of a look of desperation on his face.

still boiling with anger over the accusations he's making about my gang, i decided enough was enough. i stand up and put my wine glass back onto the table it originally was on.

i say my goodbyes quickly and was almost out the door until i felt someone grab my arm. i try to shake his arm away, but matt had a firm grip. when i turned around he had a look of determination and concern in his eyes.

"what do you want?" i ask, eager to leave.

"just please leave the BBS. take the Misfits with you and find somewhere else. if you can't find anywhere else, just come here and i'll let you guys stay. please y/n." the desperation in his tone was growing stronger.

i rip my arm out of his grasp and turn around, putting a hand on my hip.

"why should i, huh? please enlighten me on why i shouldn't trust a gang that literally saved me from being killed plenty of times."

he stayed quiet.

i thought i'd shut him up, but what he said next was the last thing i ever expected to hear.

"because they killed jay."