Chapter 17

Fully disguised and back on the move again, we jogged across the countryside towards the quarry. Natalie was fully confident that we would pass for bandits, as long as we kept our mouths shut. "Passing as a bandit takes a certain...brute finesse," she had explained. Not wanting to deal with the 'intelligence' of bandits in the first place it was an easy instruction to follow.

With the pack on my back bouncing and the short sword at my hip swaying, I felt like I would fall over every time I made a step. How anyone felt comfortable with one of those things bouncing on your thigh is beyond me.

They are pretty handy to have actually, Cathy explained. It would be in your best interest to start to learn how to use a sword.

I have my magic though. Why would a need such a bulky weapon?

Magic can't always save you, she answered. As someone who has died twenty-five times by a sword you might want to consider my advice.

I've been taking your advice so far. Why stop now?

Exactly! She answered excitedly.

I'll agree as long as it doesn't keep hurting my hip.

Cathy chuckled. Oh, stop your complaining.

Natalie stopped close to a pass into the mountains and we stopped behind her. "Bandanas up," she said as she pulled out her scarf and headdress.

I pulled the bandana up from my neck so it covered my nose and mouth like Natalie had shown us. Natalie wrapped her head completely, looking similar to the night we had first met her in the pub.

"On the other side of the pass is the entrance to the camp," she explained. "After we get through it, we still have to get to the top of the quarry. We should be able to get to the mine easily from there."

"Are we expecting resistance?" Aaron asked, adjusting the collar of his armour.

"Only if we do something stupid," Natalie answered. "You might get the odd drunken challenge but that's normal."

"What about outside the camp?" I asked.

"I don't know," she answered. "I've never made it that far."

"I thought you had been to the mine before?" I asked.

"Yeah," she answered, "but I came up from Malkia. Something we don't have the luxury of doing this time. Just stick close to me and I'll make sure nobody hurts you, Demon."

I couldn't see the mocking smirk she was giving me but I knew it was there behind her bandana. I guess my display of skill with the bandits impressed her a bit. She was starting to make 'Demon' seem more as a friendly nickname. Perhaps she was warming up to me.

Nah, Cathy said. She'll still kick you in the face if you let your guard down.

Thanks, you are SO reassuring.

I try, Cathy said with exaggerated cheerfulness.

Natalie started walking up the path with Aaron following closely behind. I expanded my mind to feel for the bandit camp as I followed them slowly. The hum of mental energy was intense. We were literally right around the corner from the camp.

I stopped searching with my mind and picked up my pace to fall in behind Natalie and Aaron. We followed the winding path to a wooden gate with a small tower behind it. In the tower, an archer watched over us as we approached the giant of a gatekeeper. He drew a massive claymore from his back and lumbered towards us. The fact that we weren't immediately attacked was a good sign.