Epilogue

I opened my eyes slowly and the world refocused itself. The night sky stared down at me and I sat up and rubbed the back of my head. My hair was sticky and as I pulled away my hand it saw it was covered in blood. I put my hand back and focused some power to heal the wound.

Are you alright in there?

Cathy groaned. I've been better.

I looked at where the Tower used to be. All that remained was a giant distortion in the air, the wavy lines of reality stretching from the ground to the full height of where the Tower had been. The Tower really was banished to the Spirit Plane and I still had magic.

"We did it," I smiled as dragged myself to my feet.

It's about time you became excited about mass murder, Cathy said as I noticed a shard from my staff. I picked it up and pocketed it as a memento.

"I don't know if it counts as mass murder when everybody was already dead or dying," I said.

I'm just screwing with you, Cathy said happily. I've had to be good for too long because your stress levels were high and you needed to focus. Now that it's over, the fun can begin.

I chuckled. "Alright but first we should decide what's next."

Easy, Cathy said. We find a bandit camp and slaughter everyone. Because, you know, you are into mass murder now.

I laughed. "I thought you would be ecstatic by the Tower's defeat and me saving magic. What's with calling me a murderer?"

It's a compliment and I am happy, she replied. Why do you think I want to kill someone as a celebration?

"After our little adventure, I say it is time for a break," I said. "Aaron's farm is close by. We should check on the lovebirds."

Yes and see if I was correct about them, Cathy said excited. If I'm right and they've broken up, we attack a small bandit camp, if you're correct, we'll do what you want.

"Deal," I said turning my back to the distortion and walking away. "Though I'd probably choose the bandit camp thing too."

I knew you wouldn't hold out on me, Cathy said.

With the Tower's destruction, Kalenden wasn't going to be the same. I couldn't bring myself to destroy magic as the Keeper wanted but I did the next best thing. The number of Mages left would be manageable and the four provinces would be free to do their business as they saw fit.

I felt like I had done the right thing. But only time would tell...