Chapter 26

The walk back to Kay Julis was peaceful. Donkor and I picked up our packs at Abuya's house and continued through the forest. I was worried that the Princess would not be able to keep up with Donkor's quick pace but she surprised me by matching him stride for stride. I was now worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up with them.

Fatigue was setting in again as another long day passed. I couldn't remember the last time I had just had a relaxing day in the library. Even worse was the prospect of a mountain climbing expedition next.

If you want, I could take over, Cathy pitched.

Still no.

You'll feel differently one day, she said.

With the setting sun, we emerged from the forest to the con'creat wall that protected Kay Julis. I hunched over to catch my breath and saw the Princess doing the same. I smiled weakly as I felt less embarrassed.

To be fair, Cathy started. You did fight a battle and have been carrying your pack.

Yeah but so has Donkor.

Donkor is a freak of nature, Cathy chuckled.

That is also true.

"Don't tell me you guys are tired already," Donkor smiled. "We should swim to one of the Kays and cool off."

"Donkor," Princess Morowa said through heavy breaths. "Don't make me smack you."

He laughed. "Uncle Naliwa is going to be so happy you are home."

"I'm happy to be home too," she smiled. "I know that Andy wants the Ba Moumno but is there anything I can get for you? And don't say 'nothing', really think about it."

"Well..." he said as he scratched his head nervously. "I can't say it."

"What is it?" she asked.

"Nothing," he said embarrassed.

She laughed. "Now, I just said that you weren't allowed to say 'nothing' so you have to tell me."

He opened his mouth but closed it and looked at me.

"Tell her," I said.

"What if she says no?" he asked.

"What if she says yes?" I asked back.

"Don't talk like I'm not here," she said, crossing her arms.

I nodded to Donkor and he turned back to the Princess. "I want to teach."

Princess Morowa's eyebrows twitched in surprise. "You want to teach?"

"Yes," he answered, getting embarrassed. "I am good with swords and I want to teach."

She smiled. "That is a good idea. You are the best swordsman Nesqa has ever seen. Why didn't you tell me earlier that you wanted to be a teacher?"

"I have never taught before," he answered. "When I taught Andy how to fight, it felt good. So I want to do it again."

"I'll talk to my father," she said. "I'm sure he will be just as happy to hear the idea as I am."

Donkor smiled. "Thank you, Moro."

"We should continue," she said as she started down the road. "Or do you need more time Andy?"

She shot me a smirk and I straightened myself up. "I'm good," I said, following her.

As we approached the front gate, the guards' eyes widened in shock. The Princess instructed them to send a runner to her father to inform him of our arrival. The gate was opened, we entered and Donkor took the lead as we walked through the city to the Palace.