Prologue

Prologue

1653

"Please! please don't do this." I beg while they push me further and further away from the village, and into the forest.

"We have to," he says while he looks at me with disappointment clear in his eyes.

I know full well why they are doing this, but I don't want to hear him say it out loud. Nevertheless, some part of me has to hear it. So I finally look up at the man and woman before me just as we reach the border that marks the end of the village, and the start of the forest. I am quiet for a moment, before I clear my throat, and ask, "why?"

I suddenly feel something wet on my cheeks and stinging in my eyes, I take my hand up to my cheek, and lightly brush my finger under it. The tip of my finger gets wet immediately. I didn't even realize I was crying before now.

The man before me just looks me dead in the eye, and the words I have feared the most comes out of his mouth in a stern tone filled with disgust "Cause' my son, you are a monster." I can't bear to look him in the eye, so I keep mine glued to the ground.

He then pushes me over with a strong force, so I fall on the other side of the border. His strength is nothing I can't handle. I can push him and her to the ground and get away from here in the blink of an eye, but I don't in fear that I might hurt them. So I just let them do whatever they feel like they need to do.

I stand up rather quickly to walk back over and talk to them, but as I am about to cross the border back to the village something stops me. I can't see anything in front of me preventing me from moving. It almost feels like a glass of some sort, because I can still see them walk away from me.

As they walk with their backs turned against me and heads hanging low, I try to get their attention, desperate for them to listen to me, for them to believe me. "Mum, dad you can't do this!" I scream while banging on the shield trying to break through somehow, but they don't even flinch. I can see their silhouettes slowly disappear into the darkness laying over the sleeping village.

"I didn't do it!" I scream again hoping they will suddenly get a change of heart. "I promise," I say in a lower voice this time, as they are now fully gone. With my gaze now facing the ground, and tears still streaming down my face I realize there is no point. They are not coming back. I'm stuck here, they left me here.

I stop hitting the shield, all the energy is drained from my body, and the only thing left is defeat. I sight out resting my forehead against the thing before me keeping me here. What am I supposed to do now? I turn around and lean back against it. My whole body feels weak, but not because I'm tired. My legs can't take my weight anymore, so I slowly slide down toward the ground. I curl my knees up to my chest and wrap my arms around them. For the first time I let myself look at the trees on this part of the forest, and for some reason, they look greener then the ones in the village, they look free.

So here I am, Harry Styles. Kicked out of my own town for a crime I did not commit, yet all my mind is occupied with is one simple sentence that repeats itself over and over in my mind; why do I always have to love alone? The sentence that would have prevented all this if I only would have realized sooner that my love is always alone, never being met halfway by someone else's.