orange juice

Based on the movie 'Juno'

I took a sip of my third bottle of Sunny-D. I just really like the stuff. I made a mistake. A dumb one. I sort of kissed my best friend. Well, he kissed me back, so it's okay I guess. My dad and my step-mom don't know that I apparently like guys, but my friend Edd knows. He knew about me kissing him, because Edd was the first person I told. He's a good friend too. Not as good a friend as my best friend.

I groaned, taking another drink of orange juice. I was almost out. I started my walk down to the drugstore, to buy more Sunny-D. "Seriously, Tom? This is your fourth bottle of this junk." The cashier, Walter, said as I set yet another bottle on the counter. I gave him an unamused look, and he rang me up for about three dollars and twenty-three cents. I gave him four dollars and walked out the front door, jug of orange juice in hand.

I twisted open the cap, drinking more orange juice as Edd walked up to me. "Gosh Tom, knock it off with the orange juice, would ya?" Edd joked, nudging me. I hit him lightly with the jug, after twisting the cap back on. "So. How're you and Tord?" Edd asked. I sighed, and looked away. "Not too well?" I shrugged my shoulders, stuttering a bit. "W-well um. I kind of- well no. He just," I took a breath. "We haven't really.. uh, really talked to each other since then." I finally said. Edd smiled. "Don't worry, he'll come around." I nodded. We were good friends. We couldn't avoid each other forever.

Speak of the devil, there I could see Matt and my best friend, talking, and walking in our direction. I quickly turned around, walking in the opposite direction. Edd sighed, and followed me. "I've decided I'm not ready for this." I sped up slightly, pulling my hood over my head.

"If you want to, we could head over to my house." I nodded, and we crossed the street, heading over to Edd's place.

Tord

I saw Edd and Tom walking ahead of us. I understood when they turned around, and headed off somewhere else. I knew Tom wouldn't want to talk to me after.. what happened.

"Come on, Tord, why would he kiss you if he didn't want to like- talk to you or something?" Matt wasn't ever great with his words. I shrugged, pulling on my hoodie strings. Matt groaned. "Screw this, I'm texting Edd." He pulled out his phone, tapping quickly. I looked over his shoulder to see what he was typing. 'Hey, if Tom is with you. Tell him to suck it up, and talk with Tord. He thinks Tom doesn't want to anything to do with him anymore.' I rolled my eyes, but it was kind of true.

"There. No turning back now."

"I guess you're right.." I mumbled quietly. Matt smiled. He pat me on the shoulder, and we started walking to his house.

Tom

Edd had gotten a text, and pulled out his phone. He read over the text quickly, and showed it to Tom. Tom read it, and his eyes widened.

"Why does he think that?" I muttered to myself. Edd put a finger up to his chin in fake thought.

"Hmm. Let's think. You haven't talked to him. At all. And we just barely turned around when we saw him." He pointed to me. "If I were him, I'd think you were avoiding me too." I swatted his hand away from my face, growling quietly.

"Okay, okay, I get your point." I sighed, pulling out my phone. I shoved my bottle of orange juice into Edd's hands. "I'm gonna text him and ask if we wants to meet up."

'Hey, we need to talk. Meet me @ the park?'

A few minutes later, I got a response from him.

'Sure. Be there in 5.'

I put my phone back in my pocket, and grabbed my orange juice from Edd. I started walking in the opposite direction, and Edd just watched me walk away, shaking his head.

I got to the park before Tord. I sat on a bench, and drank more orange juice. I had an obsession with the stuff.

"Hey junebug, think fast." I turned, and caught the pack of tic tacs that Tord threw at me. He called me junebug because my birthday is in June. He sat next to me, and instantly, there was an awkward silence.

"So.. I feel like we should talk about what happened?" It sounded more like a question the way I said it. He nodded. "I don't want it to be weird between us, but I also don't want to just forget.. that.. happened."

"W-well, uh.. maybe.. we could um.. could try us out?" His sentence was full of stutters. He was tapping his hand on his jeans. He was also avoiding eye contact with me.

"I don't think that's a terrible idea, but if we ever break up, is it gonna ruin our friendship?" He shrugged.

"Hopefully it doesn't." He seemed more comfortable now. He wasn't tapping anymore. I put my hand on his, and gripped it lightly.

"Well, I, I guess we'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it." He smiled at me, holding my hand tightly.

"I guess we will, junebug."