the visor

Tom's visor. It's a funny story, really. Tom got shot in the eyes with a laser during one of the Red Army's wars. Naturally, since Tom held such a high position, Red leader made sure that he got the proper medical attention he needed. His eyes were removed, and a visor placed in their spot permanently.

Tom's pitch black eyes replaced with a screen. Red leader fussed over them for at least two weeks. Making sure every little thing was perfect. Well, almost. He found it amusing that the color of his eyes displayed how he was feeling for anyone who glanced in his direction. Obviously, Tom hated it. He liked having his thoughts and feelings to himself. He begged Red leader to turn it off, but he only saw it as a joke, keeping it how it was.

Tom learned how to control his emotions because of that. His visor always displayed neon green eyes.. until recently. One day, they were just. Pink.

"Tom, what's up with your visor?" Red leader asked. Tom touched the visor lightly. He looked back at Tord.

"Nothing that I know of. Is it cracked or something?" Tom walked over to the mirror on the wall in Tord's personal room. Only select few were allowed in the room. Tom gasped when he saw his eyes.

"Why are they pink? They shouldn't be pink!" Tom said, almost angrily. Maybe something was interfering with the color section of his visors. Tord already had the little handbook out, flipping through the pages hoping to find the answer. Tord stopped on a specific page.

A wicked smile appeared on Tord's face as he looked back up at Tom. That face spelt trouble. Tord flipped the book around, showing Tom the color coordination of the visor.

Green was neutral, expected. Blue was sad. Also expected. Red, anger, yellow, embarrassment, and pink-

Love.

Tom was in love, it seems.

Tom's digital eyes widened, grabbing the book from Tord. He stared at the book, as his pink eyes slowly turned yellow. The pink however, was still heavily visible.

"Awww! Tommy's in love! Who's the lady or lad you love?" Tord asked, his leader like qualities melting away as he got comfortable. Tom pushed Tord's face away from his, giggling.

"I'm not telling you, so don't even try." Tom's smile slowly fell away. Now his visor was pink and blue. "You should know by now that I hate the visor. My mind was my only safe place when I came to this army. I don't even have that now.."

Tom handed the book back to Tord, and made his way back to his own room.

Word got out that Tom was in love with somebody. Apparently one of the tech inventors who had previously worked on the visor spread it.

Tom was going through what seemed like an eternal Hell. Constantly teased and harassed by Tord's stupid soldiers.

"Hey, Loverboy, take this to Red Leader." One of Tom's superiors said, handing him a stack of papers. Tom sighed, turning to his office.

"Aww! He's going to confess to Red Leader, probably. You just gave him the perfect chance! Good job." Tom's visor was a mix of colors. They all swirled together creating an almost brown look. It consisted of blue, yellow, and pink.

Tom knocked on Tord's office door, and waited for the signal to come in. After he heard the 'Come in' from inside the room, he pushed the door open, and set the stacks of papers on Tord's desk, immediately leaving.

"Tom-" Tord started, but was interrupted by Tom loudly closing the door. Tord wished he knew what was bothering Tom so much.

Tom walked past the cafeteria where some soldiers were eating. Tom heard the scraping of metal chairs against the floor, but kept walking.

"Loverboy!" Someone called. Tom refused to turn around, and kept walking. He stumbled forward as he was shoved from behind. "Hey, Loverboy, don't you know that it's rude to not answer when someone's calling for you?" There were three guys. Tom looked the men straight in the eyes, took pictures (with his visor) and turned around again, just hoping to get to his room.

Another shove, but Tom caught himself. Tom's visor changed to a light red.

"Leave me alone." He kept walking. He was forcibly turned, and a large fist, and shattered glass.

Tord walked around the halls, looking for Tom. He tried contacting him, but there wasn't an answer. The first place he thought of, was of course, Tom's room.

He pushed open the door, the dark room spilling with light from the hallway. Nobody was in there. Tord closed the door, and continued his search.

Halfway down the hall, about halfway to Tom's room, and the cafeteria, there was broken glass, and a few drops of blood on the floor. Tord quickly radioed the janitors, and went on his way to find Tom.

"Red Leader, sir, I have to report that something is blocking one of the generators in the power room, and when two technicians went to investigate, the door was locked." Tord thanked the woman on the radio, and went to the power room. Tord took out his master key, and unlocked the door with ease. Purple light filled the dark room.

Tord slowly closed the door, and walked to the source of light. There was Tom, sitting in front of one of the generators. His knees were up to his chest, and he was hiding his face in his arms. Tord gently pulled Tom's arm back, and Tom's face shot up, full of fear.

Half of Tom's visor was shattered.

Tord sat down in front of Tom, gently holding his face.

"Tom.. what happened? Are you alright?" He spoke gently. Tears had been falling down his face ever since Tord walked into the room. Tom desperately tried to wipe his tears.

"Stop.. you're just going to cut your hand." Tord said, pulling Tom's hand away. "Tell me what happened."

"Your soldiers are making my life miserable. Constant teasing and names, pushing, and today, even punching me. They all say the same thing 'where you going, Loverboy?' 'what's wrong, Loverboy?" I'm so sick of it!" Tom said, a sob escaping him.

"They're really doing all of that?" Tord asked quietly. Tom nodded, his face red from crying. He was taking deep gasps of air in.

"I'm so sorry. I- I didnt know that they'd even think about doing that.. Why.." Tord trailed off, now holding Tom's face with both of his hands. He glanced at Tom's visor, the color returning to it's now normal pink color.

"It's amazing. Even with all you've been through, you still love that person. That takes courage, Tom." Tom lightly smiled, laughing through his tears.

"Thanks.. it hasn't been easy, but the thought of this person keeps me going." Tord smiled, letting go of Tom's face, and sitting back.

"I'm going to have a talk with my soldiers. Do you want me to change your visor? Shouldn't be that hard to figure out. I could change it so your natural color is green or something. It wouldn't change to your emotions." Tom nodded.

"That sounds good."

After Tord finished practically yelling at his soldiers, he went to Tom's room. He was sitting on his bed, his pink visor displayed proudly. He smiled as Tord walked in.

"Hi, how are you holding up? I punished the soldiers that broke your visor. Fifty laps around the base and if I catch them slacking, it's fifty more." Tom laughed. That was a great sound that Tord hadn't heard in far too long.

"I'm doing fine. I have a bit of paperwork to do, but I left it in your office. I'm going to have to go get it." Tord smiled. Tom was a lot happier now. Tord even went as far as banning the word 'Loverboy' from the entire base.

"Okay, I have to go supervise the soldiers running around the base. I'll see you later?" Tom stood up, walking past Tord. Tom kissed him on the cheek gently.

"See you later, Loverboy."