stories

Two kingdoms lived far apart. The space between them stretched for miles. However far the space, there was constantly trouble between the two. Wars, assassins, knights, the civilians that resided in said kingdoms lived in constant fear. The king of the first kingdom was sick of it. He was sick of his people always asking when the disputes would end. He set out a request for a meeting to the other king, who surprisingly accepted.

"Hello, it's nice to see you. I'm glad you came." Said the first king, Henry. The second king, Aldrid, merely nodded. It was obvious that he was less than enthusiastic to be there.

"I want this war to stop." Henry said, sitting down. "My citizens are living in fear and I can't have it."

"People will be confused as to why we're just suddenly peaceful. We need a reason to have peace." Aldrid said, sitting as well.

"Won't they just be happy that the war is over? Isn't that enough?" Henry said, raising his voice.

"No! It won't work!" Aldrid said, slamming his fist against the table.

"Wait.. I know. Our sons are the same age, yes? Or close to it, at least." Henry said, calming himself. "If we can have them form a friendship this problem will resolve itself, no?" Aldrid thought it over. Honestly, he didn't see how it would work, but he might as well give it a thought.

"Sure. Bring your son, Thomas? We can have them meet at the plaza in the middle of our kingdoms tomorrow." Henry nodded. He reached his hand out. Aldrid accepted the handshake, but Henry pulled him close.

"If any harm comes to my son. Any at all, your kingdom will perish in a fiery blaze." Henry stood back, with a light smile. "Mid day tomorrow at the plaza."

The next day, Aldrid's son, Tord was getting ready. He was dressed nicely in a dark red suit.

"I dont see why I have to dress this nicely for that king's son. I don't think this plan will work." Tord said, straightening his tie.

"You must at least try to be friendly to his son. We're trying to establish peace." Tord nodded, leaving the room. He had to head to the plaza now if he was going to make it on time.

"My son, why won't you just take a carriage?" Tord's mother, Oven asked. Tord sighed.

"I want to do something for myself for once in my life." He said, he left the castle, seeing the people bustling about in their daily lives. Tord never really got to see the village in its loudest, most crowded time. Whenever he went out, people always were dead silent. They parted ways, for the prince was walking! He hated it.

Tord kept his head down, hoping people wouldn't notice him. He could hear whispers beside him. He walked faster. It was going to take a while to get to the plaza.

Henry handed Thomas a dagger. Tom looked at it, staring carefully at the details.

"Why am I going to need this?" Henry set his hand on Tom's shoulder, and Tom shook it off. "This is a peace meeting. I'm not going to need a knife."

"It's to protect yourself, just in case anything happens." Tom rolled his eyes, but put the dagger in his side sheath nonetheless. Tom pushed open the door, and walked to the stables, mounting his horse. It wouldn't take long to get to the plaza at all.

Tord sat on one of the benches in the wide plaza. It was usually a large trading area full of life and loud noises, but Tord was the only one there. Where was this other prince anyways? He's supposed to be here soon.

Tord leaned against the pillar behind him, and closed his eyes. It was hot out there in the sun.

Tord awoke to the sound of a horse near him. He opened his eyes drowsily and looked at the horse. It was tied up on the pillar.