him

inspired by She - dodie

was it wrong to look at him and wish he were mine? Is it wrong if he's just so nice to look at?

i'd never tell anyone, i'd never say a word to anybody besides him. he means everything to me. 

he smells like clementine and sleep. he feels like fabric softener, and damp grass, and rainy days. when i ask others, they never say what i would think. 

"what does he feel like?" what an odd question, i know. "he feels like danger, and like you need to be alert around him, i guess." that's what someone said he feels like. 

"what does he smell like? dude, i don't know, that's kind of creepy though." i told them it was for a project. it kind of was. "i guess he smells like axe body spray like ninety percent of the school does." is what someone else said he smells like. 

but i couldn't see it. he didn't feel like danger, he didn't smell like axe. he feels like soft blankets and safety. he smells like late nights and baking. 

why doesn't anybody see him how i see him?

"tom!" he said softly. he placed a hand on my shoulder, and i swore i could feel my heart flutter. i smiled and glanced at him. 

"hello, where were you today? you're always somewhere different.he smiled at me. 

"i was in my cooking class. we made peach pie. i saved a slice for you, if you'd like it." he rubbed the back of his neck as if he were nervous. he has no reason to be nervous around me though. 

"of course. you made it so i know i'll love it." that's why i thought he smells like baking. he has a cooking class, and he always smells like fresh fruit and baking dough. what a sweet heart. 

my hand brushed his as we were walking down the halls. i felt his soft hand rub against mine briefly. that's why he feels like fabric softener. why don't people see that?

the day was over and done. he and i always walked home together. the air was fresh and each time i inhaled i could feel the cold air stinging my lungs. it felt refreshing, and reminded me that i was alive. 

"it's a nice day today, isn't it? it reminds me of you."

i looked around at the trees that had turned orange sometime last week. the leaves that had fallen were scattered in our path. it should be raining soon, judging by the dark clouds that swirled in the sky. 

"how does this remind you of me?" i questioned. I couldn't see it. if anything, it reminded me of him. with how still the air was, and how the leaves were slowly fluttering down to find a place on the ground. it felt calm, like warm nights inside. 

"well, i don't really know. i can't explain it very well. i'm not as descriptive as you are. you're so good with words and i don't know how. i don't feel like i could ever be as good as you." he wouldn't look at me while he talked. 

"don't think like that" i started quietly. "you might not be able to transfer your thoughts to words, but you're so much more than that. you're so softhearted, and i've asked how people would describe you. they answered 'dangerous'" he looked discouraged as i said this. 

"i don't see that at all. I don't know how on earth people could say you're dangerous. at all" i laughed, pushing my hair out of my face. "you just offered me peach pie that you made earlier. you're not dangerous to me. you remind me of safety, and warmth." he smiled.

"you really think so?" he asked as i walked up to my door. we had gone the distance from the school, and before i knew it, we were at my house. 

"of course. you couldn't convince me otherwise." i waved and closed the door.

after he left, i sat on my bed thinking of him. why would anybody say he's dangerous? i couldn't stop thinking about it. 

why's he so gentle with me, yet people say that he's dangerous? then it hit me.

he's gentle with me. he thinks of me when he sees the fall trees, and quiet breeze. he's dangerous for other people, but not with me. he's got a soft personality, with me. 

i love him so much but i don't know if i'd be able to live without him. if i tell him and he rejects me, i wouldn't survive. 

it was raining hard and my brain was in shambles. i couldn't think. i stood up and shrugged on a coat quickly. i ran outside and immediately, i was soaked by rain. i started running as if my life depended on it.

my sneakers hit the concrete with a splash as i ran. i couldn't see where i was going very well. i knew the general direction i was heading, but i had no set destination.

"tom?! why are you running?!" i heard him shout. i stopped running and glanced up, where his voice had come from. his head was out the window. he disappeared and a few moments later, he jogged out the front door to me.

i was panting heavily, as he stopped next to me.

"what's wrong? what happened? are you alright?" he asked one question after another, but my brain didn't register any of them.

suddenly in a moment of chaos, and a shambled mind, i kissed him. and in that moment i felt maybe that's where i was supposed to be.

kissing him in the rain, in water-soaked clothes