Death In The Family

Warning! Death, slight panic attack
(Narrator POV)
(A week later)
Raven was in her room, folding laundry when her phone rang and Murphy's picture lit up her screen.

She answered with a smile and immediately panicked when she heard him sniff slightly. "Murph? What's wrong babe?" She questioned and she could hear him pacing.

"I- I went to my mom's house to get a photo album thing because I needed a picture of my dad and I-. She wasn't on the couch and-." He stopped talking and he sounded like he was seconds away from hyperventilating. "I went to her bedroom and she- she's dead and now I'm panicking."

Raven was stunned but she shook it off for the moment. She needed to be there for Murphy first. "I'll be there in five minutes. Do you want me to call Morgan and the police?" She asked as she ran downstairs and left. Sinclair was at work and if he got home and worried, he would text her.

"No, I already called them. Thank you so much." Murphy said with a shaky tone. Murphy wasn't distraught often but he had just seen a dead body, the body of someone who was once his mother no less.

"You're welcome. I'm only a few minutes away." Raven said and drove as fast as possible. She was there in record time and parked on the street.

Murphy was sat on the sidewalk outside the house. He was sitting with his knees bent, arms crossed over them and forehead resting on his forearms.

Raven rushed over and sat by him. She put her arm around him and heard police sirens approaching. They both ended up standing to speak to the police when they all parked.

Murphy's eyes were a bit red and he appeared to have been crying. He pushed the heels of his hands into his eyes lightly with a sigh. While his arms were up, Raven hugged him so he wrapped his arms around her shoulders and hid his face in her neck.

The police pulled up and all but one of them went inside. The other went up to Murphy and Raven. She was pale with blond hair and green eyes.

"Are you the one who called?" She asked Murphy, who pulled away from Raven with a nod. "I'm sorry for your loss." She said and then asked him about what happened.

He answered all her questions and eventually Morgan showed up. She walked up to the three people and introduced herself.

"Alright. Did your mother have any illnesses or something that may have caused her death?" The police officer asked.

Both siblings spoke at the same time "No." Morgan said, but that was completely different from Murphy's answer. "She was an alcoholic."

Morgan looked shocked. "What?!" She snapped and stared at him with confusion and a tad of concern. "Since when?!"

"8 years. You came to the house like right after I moved, how did you not guess that?" Murphy questioned as he gave her a look of confusion and mild irritation.

Morgan's answer was cut off by a cop who had just walked up. He was tan with black hair and brown eyes. "She drank herself to death and apparently her liver was insanely close to failure."

Eventually, the questioning was complete and they were all told to head home. Murphy whispered that he would meet Raven at his apartment and he started walking quickly to his motorcycle because he could tell that Morgan was following him with one intention.

"Why didn't you tell me?!" She yelled, bringing back up the alcoholism and Murphy just sighed. He kept walking until she grabbed his arm and turned him. "Hey!"

He yanked his arm out of her grasp roughly and took a step toward her threateningly. His eyes turned dark and icy and she suddenly understood how he had survived. Anyone who looked in those eyes could see the fight in them.

"I didn't tell you because I figured you knew considering you went to the house and saw her passed out cold and surrounded by beer bottles! I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to blame yourself! Mom was fine until you left!" He pointed an accusatory finger at her.

"How is it my fault?!" She screamed. They were standing next to his motorcycle, on the road, Raven and the cops on the other side.

"You were mom's everything! The year after dad died, she hated me with a passion but she didn't want you to see that evil part of her so she didn't do anything. When you left, she thought 'screw it' and started beating me and drinking heavily. I've been raising myself, paying the bills and putting up with her this entire time!" Murphy said angrily

Morgan was shocked but she found it in her to speak. "Are you not grieving?" She asked quietly and Murphy sighed once again.

"I'm not grieving because the woman who was my mother, died with our dad. The only thing I'm grieving is that there's no way she'll be that person again." Murphy told her and went to get on his motorcycle.

However, she once again held him back by the arm. "How could you say that?!" She sounded outraged which made Murphy's brows scrunch in annoyance and anger.

"I can say that because all she was to me was abusive. She beat, punched, kicked, cut, stabbed, burned, and neglected me! She was never going to forgive me for our dad's death and she was never going to be sober again! I can say all that because I'm angry, Morgan." Murphy said with a deep lilt to his angry voice.

Once again he yanked his arm roughly from her grasp and got on his bike. She kept saying things to him but he just put his helmet on and drove off with Raven driving close behind.

Of course, Raven had heard everything even though she had been trying not to listen. She was waiting for them to finish talking to make sure that Murphy was alright in the end.

Was he alright? Nobody in the situation really knew since he seemed so angry. Truthfully, he was irritated, angry and sad all because his sister was being a complete idiot.

He'd get over it though and hopefully so would Morgan. After all, nothing quite tests people the same way as,

Death in the family.

A/N Hey! Sorry this is so late, I've been super busy lately but I've been trying to finish this story still. We're only about 4 chapters away from being complete!

Hope you enjoyed and keep reading! Please forgive the delays.