11.

Mark: I thought that you might not agree...

Mark said looking down.

Milli: Why would I not help you, Mark?

Mark: Cause your brother warned me.

Milli: My brother? You mean, Neeraj? He is my cousin, not my real brother.

Mark: Well, yes, him only. He said that you belong to a conservative family. Your family doesn't approve of having boyfriends or just mere guy friends. He also told me that your brother who got married is really really protective. And that, he might destroy us both if he finds out that we are, like friends.

Milli:  No, my brother is not like that. Don't entirely believe Neeraj's words. I admit that things are hard for me at home because everyone is really conservative but that doesn't mean that they are gonna destroy us just because I helped you.

Mark: Oh, thank God! I thought I was doing wrong by even coming up at your school for help.

Milli: No, not at all. You are most welcome. You can come anytime. I mean you can talk to me or come for my help anytime.

Mark: Thanks, but for that, how can I contact you?

Mark was staring with hope in his eyes. Milli was quietly thinking about it.

Mark broke the silence by saying.

Mark: You can give me your number. Or, I can give you my number, if you are comfortable with it.

Milli: Alright, then here. Take my number. But I'm gonna save yours as someone else on my phone. As "Madhuri", yeah?

Mark: Madhu-what? Why are you saving my number like that?

Milli: It's because I can't risk any of my family members knowing about you. I just wanna protect you...I don't care about getting caught. What's the worse that could happen, huh?

Mark: Okay. Thanks and Sorry for making you go through that much trouble.

Milli: It's okay. Save my number as someone else as well.

Mark: Okay, so, when do we meet?

Milli: I'll call and let you know, yeah?

Mark: Okay.

Milli stood up and was leaving. Mark stood up too and bid goodbye to her. He was waiting for her to leave first and then was going back to his home as well.

Milli stopped and turned around, making Mark stopping in his track as well.

Milli: Mark? Whenever you call...Can you speak in a female voice before you are sure that the person you are speaking is me for sure? You know, just in case...

Mark: Okay. I will.

Milli smiled. And waved goodbye at him.

Milli had to take a taxi back home cause she got a message from her sister saying that their brother was back home early and wanted to see their test papers.

Milli arrived at her house in a hurry. She immediately rushed inside when Neeraj opened the door for her.

Milli: Sorry, I got lat-

Jai: Your papers, Milli.

He put his hand forward. He was sitting on the couch and Meha was standing in front of him, her head was lowered down. Milli walked up to him and handed him over his paper. She stood next to Meha who had a guilty expression on his face. Meha mouthed sorry to her sister. Milli knew what was going to happen and was somehow, prepared for it.

Jai: Ye kya hai, Milli? Tumhare itte kum marks kaise aaye hai iss baar?
       (What is this, Milli? How did you get such low scores in your test this time?)

Milli just looked down.

Milli: Sorry, bhaiya. Next time aisa nahi hoga...?
                                    (This won't happen again from next time.)

Milli sounded a bit confused while saying that. She looked a little towards Meha who was looking down on the ground.

Jai: There is no next time, Milli. You usually score well pur jab bhi koi event aata hai yea school ka koi cultural festival hota hai tub tumhara score niche aah jata hai. Aur thora niche nahi aata.Ek dum he niche aah jata hai. Why is that?
                                (But whenever there is an event or there is a cultural festival at your school, your score lowers. And it doesn't lower by a few points. It lowers down to rock bottom.)

Milli: Sorry, bhaiya.

Jai: And this is not the case with Milli only, Meha? It is like this with you as well.

Meha looked up at his brother. She thought that she would not get scolded as Milli got her back, but she was wrong...

Jai: Tumhare usually gande marks aate hai pur patanahi events or cultural festival ke time achhe ho jate hain...
       (You usually get poor marks but during events or cultural festival, you score well...)

Milli and Meha, both were silent and had nothing to say.

Jai: Bahut jhel liya maine. Ab bus...ab tum log Neeraj ke school jayoge.                  
       (I've had enough now. That's it...you both would go to Neeraj's school.)

Meha: Neeraj ke school? Sorry, bhaiya. Give us another chance. We'll prove it to you that you don't have to withdraw us from that school.
            (Neeraj's school? Sorry, brother.)

Jai: Nahi tum log uss he ke school jayoge. Vahan par students pe zyada dhyan diya jaata hai. Agar tumhara Dhyan bhatak bhi gaaya tab tumhare teacher tumse khud deal karenge.
       (No, you both will go to his school only. Students are prioritised more there, in comparison to your school. If you guys get drifted off from your studies, then the teachers themselves will deal with you.)

Meha: But-

Milli held Meha's arm and squeezed it lightly to stop her from protesting.

Jai: Neeraj? Ek baar idhar aana.
       (Neeraj? Can you come here once?)

Neeraj was standing quietly in the living room, with them, witnessing everything that was going on. He panicked a little but managed to maintain his composure.

Neeraj: Ji, bhaiya?
              (Yes, brother?)

Jai: Kal tumhare saath school main jayunga. Mujhe ink admission karva ne ki baat karni hai. I hope that they take both of them in. Main vahin se he to pada hoon so I guess vo inhe admission day de. Ishee baat ko consider kar ke.
        (I'll come with you to your school. I have to talk to them about their admission. I studied from that school as well so I guess they would let them in. By considering this fact that I'm an alumnus.)