i. Leaving the Nest

•••

This chapter is dedicated to Rosin_Reads. I want to thank you for being so supportive of my writing and being a great friend. I love you lots, Onion ♡

•••

i. Leaving the nest

When the last cardboard box was pushed into the back of my car, I closed the door and pushed my hair out of my eyes. Before I could realise it, my mother had rushed to me, her acupuncture slippers still on her feet and deep brown hair a mess. Her arms wrapped around me tightly and she sniffled into my shoulder as if she was afraid I'd never come back. The way she held me made me think of the day my older sister Vienna moved out now almost ten years ago. The last time we ever saw her before she disappeared from our lives.

My mother had held her the same way and Vienna had rolled her eyes when mom said she loved her. I was only a teenager back then, watching from the kitchen window as Vienna shrugged off our mother's tearful goodbyes, slammed her car door, kissed her boyfriend on the lips and lit a cigarette. I wasn't sure what she was doing now but knowing her, it most likely wasn't anything good.

I wrapped my arms around my mother's waist and kissed her head. "I won't be far, ma. I'll come to visit whenever I can, I promise," I said softly to try to help calm her aching heart. Seeing my mother like that always made me upset; she was always so cheerful and barely ever got sad if not for the exception of Vienna's anniversary. Losing her daughter like that was hard on her.

From over my mother's shoulder, I saw my father who leaned on the door frame with his famous frown resting on his lips. My father looked older than he really was because of all the wear and tear his facial features had gotten from his years of frowning and working in an office job he never wanted. I'd known from ever since I was young that I could never let myself become as serious as my father, not that there was anything actually bad about it, I just didn't wish to look as old and unhappy as him in my fifties.

"You better keep that promise, young man. If you don't, I will kick down your door and ground you!" My mother joked in a weak voice, clearly still feeling emotional about my leave. I chuckled at her words and tightened my arms around her for a second or two before letting go.

"I promise I will, ma. You know how serious I am with promises, we both do." And we did. Ever since I was little, promises were the most important thing to me. Sometimes, my relationships with others depended on whether or not they kept their promises to me. Even small ones. I could never break a promise, not in this lifetime or in any other.

"Take care of yourself, Samuel. And don't be afraid to ask your father and I for help, that's what we're here for." My mother said with a smile. She pulled her fuzzy robe tighter around herself, realising that it was freezing out where we were standing. "Goodbye, honey. Have fun but not too much fun and if you meet a nice girl, make sure to use- you already know that." She turned around to hurry inside. Stopping at the door where my father had been moments prior to exclaim, "I expect a call soon!"

And with that, she disappeared inside. I smiled, I loved my mother dearly. Turning my eyes from the front door, I noticed my father making careful steps down the stairs that led to the porch. He stopped in front of me and spoke with a frown. "So this is it? You're leaving your folks."

"It appears to be so." I said, looking down at my feet; this was as awkward as any other interaction I had with my father. My heart jumped when I felt my father pull me into an awkward hug. It had been years since the last time we shared a hug and I wasn't sure I even remembered far enough into the past to remember anything of it.

When my father pulled away, there were tears in his eyes. "I know I don't say it enough but you're a good kid, Sam. I'm proud of you and please, just please, promise you won't leave us like your sister did. I don't think I could deal with losing you too."

I was also nearly in tears, I didn't expect him to say all of this when I was about to move. I didn't expect to ever hear those words come out of his mouth. "Damn, are you trying to make me cry, old man? Because if you say anything else like that, I might just start bawling my eyes out." My voice came out hoarse.

My father furrowed his eyebrows, the tears now gone. "Don't push it, son," he said. I smiled, patted his arm and turned around to get into my car.

"Bye dad. I love you both and I'll see you soon." were my last words to the old man who looked older than he was. I got into my car and drove off. I saw him wave at the back of my car as I drove down the street I grew up playing on, the street I used to ride my bike down to get to school. Those days were over now and a whole new chapter of my life would begin.

A chapter that well could have ended up being the last one of my story.

---

Hiiii! I'm backkkkkkkk! It feels so good to be back.

New character! Vienna! You'll know more about her in later chapters.

Dec 7, 2019