xliv. End Of The New Chapter

•••
Please make sure to read the note at the end of the chapter!

•••

xliv

xliv. End Of The New Chapter

I had never felt fear quite like what I felt when Benjamin's eyes rolled to the back of his head right before the paramedics got to us.

Only moments after he was out cold, they burst into the apartment with two armed police officers. I looked at them with a pleading look in my eyes as my chest heaved up and down when I breathed, tears still streaming down my face.

One of the officers said something into her radio while the other started to walk towards Benjamin and I. He stopped a few feet away from us and stared around the room. I felt relieved that I didn't have to say anything yet. I gripped on to Benjamin's hand tighter for a few moments before letting go as the paramedics took him on a stretcher and carried him away.

The third paramedic, the one who was left behind, helped me up and assisted me in getting out of the building. The officer who had come near me in the apartment came out with us.

After I was sat down in the ambulance, I felt like I could finally speak. "Have you caught her yet?" I asked the officer. He turned to look at me, one eyebrow raised in question.

"Taylor. Did you catch her? She's the one who started all of this, and I want to know if you've already caught her." I said. "She's pregnant too, and I'm afraid she might try to do something," I added.

He shook his head with a small, tight lipped smile as an apology. "Sorry sir, we didn't haven't seen her yet. We've sent someone to look for her, though. Do you know where she could go? That could help us find her faster," He said.

I didn't know anything about Taylor, so I couldn't say much. I frowned and was about to shake my head 'no' when my eyes fell on one of my apartment's windows. I'd left the door open when I ran upstairs to help Benjamin.

My heart dropped at the thought of Taylor finding my notebook where I had written everything I'd seen and heard during the time I had been living under her. "She could be in my apartment," I said. "I left the door open when I ran up, but the door was shut when we walked out."

It was the only place she could have gone in the short time between her leaving the apartment, and the police and paramedics arriving.

"Which apartment is it?" The officer asked. The paramedics were all working around Benjamin and I knew we didn't have a lot of time.

"Number 5. It's on the first floor. She may have locked the door, so feel free to use whatever tactics you may need to get in," I said. The officer nodded before jogging over to his partners and taking them inside.

The ambulance doors were closed and I felt the vehicle start moving. We were on our way to the hospital. I felt myself become light headed, but I didn't lose consciousness like the man next to me.