xxvii. Vienna's Predicament

•••

This chapter is dedicated to WeStanSpongebob. You're so sweet, I can't even-

Thank you so much for reading.♡

•••

xxvii

xxvii. Vienna's predicament

My parents' car stopped in the parking lot of the police station where she was supposed to be held in. I stepped out of the car and took in a deep breath; this wasn't the way I wanted to spend my Thanksgiving evening.

Father had explained to my mother and I what he was told on the phone. Apparently, Vienna was arrested for public intoxication, and possession of illegal substances, and she now wanted us to bail her out.

To say I was angry was an understatement. I was absolutely furious that she had the audacity to come asking for us to bail her out after what she did to our family.

My parents and I walked across the parking lot, and I held the door of the police station open for them as we went inside. I let my parents go over to the desk and ask about Vienna's whereabouts, and only a minute or so later they returned to me and an officer led us to the holding cells.

We stopped in front of a certain cell and the woman inside turned to look at us with a blank look. My parents decided to give me some time to talk to my sister while they had a conversation with the officer who led us here. "Vienna?" I barely whispered. This wasn't Vienna. There was no way in hell this was my older sister.

Her formerly thick dark brown hair was now mousy and knotted so badly that it looked like the matted wool of a sheep. Her face was pale and her eyes were dull, pupils dilated. Her clothes were ripped and old, a disgusting stench of rotten eggs and god knows what else floated around her. She looked terrible.

"Oh hey, lil' bro," She said as she stood up and took a step towards me. I didn't exactly want her to come any closer to me because of how she smelled, but I didn't move. "How's it going?"

I ignored her question. "What happened, Vi? You go and disappear for ten years and then suddenly reappear just to ask for us to bail you out?" How dare she leave her family and only come back to beg for us to bail her out. It was so wrong of her, and through my anger, I wished that my parents wouldn't decide to bail her out. I knew I wouldn't waste my limited money on her.

I hated myself for thinking that way. She was still my sister, no matter what she did, and I was hoping on letting her rot in a holding cell. I was such a terrible brother, but she wasn't any better as a sister.

"You see, Sam," She started with a croaking voice. Only then I noticed the state her teeth were in. She was missing a few, and the ones that she still had were yellow, in the process of turning darker, dirtier. "I realise that I've fucked up massively, but when I left you guys, I wasn't in a good place. As you can see, I'm still in that bad place and I don't think I can get out without mom and dad's support," She spoke in a sad tone and I could hear the regret in her voice. "I wanna change, lil' bro. But I can't do that while I'm stuck on the streets." Tears pooled up in her eyes and I couldn't help but feel a pull at my heart.