xviii. Remember The Past

•••

xviii

xviii. Remember The Past

It was two weeks later and Taylor had returned from her business trip just over a week ago. I had spent some time with Samuel whenever Taylor wasn't home because I didn't want to ruin the peace in the apartment that God had graced us with by telling Taylor that I had friends. Or a friend since I only had one friend.

Today had had a date night and it had ended up the way it usually ended: with Taylor sleeping on my bare chest while I couldn't sleep. My arm was draped over my girlfriend's waist and I knew my neck was sprinkled with bruises that for once weren't the result of a hard hand.

I hated bruises, but these were alright. At least they didn't hurt like bruises usually do. That didn't mean I wasn't ashamed to have them.

And just like every other date night these days, my mind wandered to my childhood. To the days Taylor and I were only friends, and the days that things seemed to be alright.

Memories of the little girl whose raven hair was tied up in two pigtails flooded my mind. This was the time before red lipstick and sharp stiletto heels. This was the time of pink tutu-skirts and bubblegum drops.

Taylor and I grew up together. We were so close that by the time we were five, I had proposed to her with a ring pop and ran to my mother telling her that we were married. She had giggled and asked "Oh is that so? congratulations, dear." I had grinned and ran off to be with my 'wife'.

I smiled at the memories, my mind then moving on to when I was twelve and realised I had a crush on Taylor. We were best friends, so I didn't say anything about my feelings, thinking I had no chance with the beautiful girl that was Taylor Allison Barnes. By fourteen, I knew I was in love with her.

My smile faded when I remembered how Taylor changed when we moved on to go to high school. She wasn't the same fun loving, kind girl I had grown up with. Almost immediately after high school began, Taylor had become somewhat of a bully. She even dragged me into it and made me do things I could never erase from my past or mind. Back then, I hadn't realised what I was doing because of how blinded by love I was, and now all I wanted was to apologize to everyone.

Especially to Cody, the red headed boy with rectangular glasses and rainbow backpack. The things I said to him while blinded by my love for Taylor were self esteem crushing, degrading, and most importantly; hypocritical.

I wondered how he was doing. From what little I knew of him, I figured he'd be studying in medical school to become a surgeon of some sort. I hoped he was doing well. He deserved that much after what Taylor and I did to him.

It was odd how, even though Taylor had made us have a reputation as some of the worst bullies in school, we somehow ended up being somewhat popular. Maybe it was because of how beautiful Taylor was, or because of my spot on the baseball team. I honestly didn't want to know why that was, I wanted to forget highschool ever happened.