vi. The Couple Upstairs

•••
This one goes out to ImWeirdSoDealWithIt. You've been reading my books and leaving such sweet comments, not to mention you seem to ve everywhefe. Thank you ♡.

•••

vi. The Couple Upstairs

It had now been two weeks or so since that dinner and I had been talking to Taylor and Benjamin quite often. It had more or less become a part of my routine to exchange text messages with taylor and to chat with Benjamin every day as I come home from either work, the store, or a run. I often caught him taking a smoke break.

I wouldn't say we were friends yet, but we surely were close to that. He hadn't really warmed up to me yet and he seemed a bit timid around me. I didn't expect him to, though so it was fine.

I was strolling around the park near the apartment building and I decided to sit down on a bench near the pond. I watched ducks swim around in the water and kids play in the playground.

I had been so wrapped up in my own imagination that I hadn't noticed someone sit down next to me until they spoke.

"It's a nice day today, isn't it?" A sweet voice said and I turned my head to look at the person. It was an elderly woman.

I nodded and looked up at the sky. "Really is. Such a peaceful day," I said through a sigh. The sky was clear of any clouds and the sun shone down on us. It wasn't even windy that day.

"Are you new to the neighbourhood? I've seen you around a few times," asked the woman and I nodded once again and told her that I had moved here a few weeks prior.

The woman smiled sweetly, "Oh that's great. Welcome to the neighbourhood, dear. You know, it's been really calm in the building I live in since around the time you moved here. It's odd, really."

I raised my eyebrows, "Oh really? What do you mean?" I was curious now and I wanted the woman to elaborate.

"Curious, huh?" The woman said and I nodded, making her chuckle. "Well I live next to this young couple and they used to be at each other's throats all the time. Sometimes, I'd get worried about the yelling and I'd ask both Lorrie and Ben about it but they'd both always deny everything and say that if anything, it was a meaningless argument about something small. They've been quiet lately, though. I hope they're okay."

I furrowed my eyebrows. Poor couple, they should learn from someone like Taylor and Benjamin. "I'm sure they're alright, uhm-" I started to reassure the old woman, but I then realised I didn't know her name.

The woman smiled. "It's Margaret," she said. I Introduced myself to him as well before going back to what I was about to say before:

"I'm sure they're okay, Margaret. They probably just got over that rough road in their relationship and are now doing better."

Margaret nodded. "You're right. They're probably alright and my worries are unnecessary," she said. We then sat in awkward silence for a little while when I heard someone yell "look out!" before a football flew past us, nearly hitting me in the head.

I stood up and went to get the ball for the kid who was running towards me. I handed it to him and with a laugh, I spoke, "Be a bit more careful, kid. Your throw is strong enough to hurt if the ball hits someone in the head." The kid thanked me for the ball and then ran off. I too decided to walk back home.

As I was walking inside, Benjamin came rushing out, Taylor following suit. I greeted them both with a warm smile, one Benjamin tried -but failed to- return. It seemed to be much easier for Taylor, though. The two walked away in a hurry and I made my way down the hallway to my apartment.

I was about to insert my key into the lock when I realised that there had been a small bruise on Benjamin's cheekbone. I decided that I had probably just imagined it and shrugged it off.

Once inside, I kicked my shoes off my feet and jumped onto my couch, phone in hand. I texted my mother because she wanted me to text her at least once a week. I also texted Caroline and a few of my co-workers. My co-workers had invited me for drinks at a popular bar in town on Saturday and I decided to accept the invite. I did need a drink or two.

I was massively bored, so I turned on Netflix and looked for a good movie to watch. I ended up getting bored of it as well and started to look through various dating apps. A while ago, I had used dating apps to find "love" but as I had given up on women, I had moved on just using it for hookups just like so many other people do.

I already had a few matches on Tinder that I was talking to when I heard noises come from upstairs. I figured that someone was probably just being a bit loud with their conversation, but after a while, the volume of the noise only got louder.

One voice yelled something unintelligible and the other yelled back. One sounded angry and the other distraught. My mind went to the couple upstairs. They were having an argument and by the sound if it, it was serious.

After nearly half an hour of non stop yelling, it stopped and I heard a door slam shut, followed by soft cries from the person left in the apartment.

I realised that the yelling had come from right above me. I also knew who lived in the apartment above mine. I hoped the argument wasn't as bad as it sounded because if it was, well, I wouldn't know what to think.

I got off my couch and grabbed a beer before returning to the living room. I finally found a movie that I could actually focus on and watched that for the next hours, occasionally still hearing the crying from upstairs.

I hope she's okay.

---

It may not be Tay you should worry about-

Dec 21, 2019