xv. From A New Point Of View

•••

xv. From A New Point Of View

My heart just about stopped when I heard the door open and close. I stared down at the faint stain on the couch as a lump formed in my throat. This was a new couch that we just got last month and I had messed it up already.

A familiar, velvety voice rang through the apartment as my girlfriend spoke. "Hey babe," She said. I could hear the smile on her face and it calmed me down slightly. Maybe she wouldn't be so mad at me.

I turned around and took a few steps towards Taylor. I looked down at my bandaged hand. "I'm sorry for making you upset. I didn't mean to," I said, my voice soft and trembling. I kept looking down and expected a hand to collide with my cheek. Instead of a cold hand hitting me, I felt a warm one be placed under my chin and turning my head up to make me look at the woman.

Taylor's eyes looked loving, her expression soft and inviting. A small smile resided on her permanently red stained lips and her eyes looked over the features of my face. "It's fine, Benjamin," She said, forgiving me for my wrongdoings. "I can tell you're sorry. Just don't do the same thing again and I won't get mad."

"I won't. I promise," I said, knowing it was a lie. I didn't even know why she blew up on me yesterday. Maybe I had said something wrong or maybe the bread I baked for Taylor hadn't been up to her standards. I didn't know what could have been the reason for it, but I knew I needed to get my behaviour back in check.

Taylor's arms wrapped around my neck and I felt lips press against my cheek. My heart skipped a beat and I turned my head a bit to connect our lips in a kiss while my arms slid around her slim waist. I felt Taylor smile as our lips danced together in harmony, making me smile as well. The kiss wasn't heated or passionate, it was innocent and loving. I put all my love for Taylor into the kiss to show her that I was truly sorry for how I had acted.

"I love you, Tay," I said once our lips separated. I rested my forehead on hers, my arms still tightly around her in a loving embrace. Taylor didn't say anything. She just gave me a small smile before pushing me away and walking to the couch.

"You don't really love her, do you?" A voice in my mind said. It was somewhat of a mix between a question and a statement. I did love her. I wouldn't have moved all the way here and lost that stupid Southern accent for her if I didn't love her.

I closed my eyes for a second. I closed off all of the doubts I had concerning my love for Taylor. Of course I loved her. I loved her with all my heart.

"Benjamin," Taylor said. Her voice was no longer soft and loving. It was harsh and cold. I knew she had noticed the stain. I lifted my injured hand to my chest and protected it with my other hand. "What is this?"

I turned around and looked at where she was pointing. Sure enough, she had seen it. Her face was slowly turning red from anger and I stammered as I spoke, "I-I didn't me-mean to m-mess it up. M-my hand was bleeding so much that- that it came through my bandages and I-I tried to clean it off as good as I could. I'm sorry." I could already feel the fear creeping up my limbs, residing in my stomach and creating a lump in my throat.