Why Me, Alpha?

Prologue

The cracking of Henry’s bones signalled the second biggest change in Lia’s world.

Her brother was a werewolf, and she was not.

Which meant that she was the only non-werewolf in the pack, and the person who made her feel like she belonged, her brother, was now one of them. It wasn’t as if her parents were cruel or had done terrible things to her, they, on the contrary, were caring and understanding, they had loved her from the bottom of their hearts.

But that wasn’t the problem. No, the problem was her.

She was the anomaly.

She didn’t belong.

That night of Henry’s first shift she and her sister, Sophie, stayed behind their father, they weren’t allowed to come close because he could kill them if they had gotten on the wrong side of his body, with his limbs not within his control. She had watched as he became a part of the world that she wasn’t.

That night, the family had celebrated the first shift of their second child, the first shifter among their three children.

That night, however, Lia had stayed in her room and cried herself to sleep, the soundproof walls of her room keeping the sobs away from the superhuman hearing of the werewolves bellow.

She had remembered that night of her fourteenth birthday, the night of the most drastic change in her life, when she had been expected to have her first shift. She had remembered so clearly, because that was the day that she had stayed up all night, and her parents had stayed up all night, too, just waiting for her to shift. When it was clear that her bones weren’t going to crack, or her body change, they grew worried.

That was the day that Lia first experienced fear and alienation.

For the coming years, she had felt unwanted. At first, it hadn’t been so blatant, but she could feel it, the way that people looked at her was different, and the other kids her age weren’t allowed to interact with her in the way that they interacted with each other, because she didn’t have the same abilities that they did, like healing.

Then, as time passed, it was quite clear that the werewolves in the community treated her differently from those who could shift.

Henry and Sophie made her feel as if she belonged and was loved.

That’s why the night of Henry’s first shift had been such a heartbreaking moment for her, because it signalled a change in their relationship.

“Lia! Are you going to drive me to school today?” Henry asked her a couple of days after his first shift, his blue eyes merry and his smile bright, his body quite different from when he hadn’t shifted just yet.

Well, that would be quite hard to explain to the teacher, good thing that it had been summer break and that they wouldn’t have to, they just had to say that Henry had done some serious working out during summer break.

She smiled, “of course I will, kiddo. Is Sophie ready to go?”

Lia was preparing their breakfast, since their parents were away, and was going to be bringing them to school, before heading to her morning classes in college.

“Yeah, she should be ready, it’s her first day of high school,” he grinned, fixing his raven black hair in the mirror in the kitchen.

Henry was in his third year of high school, despite the fact that he was just fourteen. They had entered school early, which meant that they were all younger than their peers. She was sure Henry would take care of Sophie once there, so she didn’t have to worry.

“Are we leaving already?” Sophie asked from upstairs.

“Not until you have breakfast, Sophie,” Lia replied as she quickly tucked stray strands of her raven black hair behind her ear.

The youngest of the Makkenas went down the stairs, looking nervous. “Do I look okay?” She asked, tugging on her light brown hair, which was done up into a ponytail, her blue eyes showing her worry.

“You look fine, Sophie,” Lia replied. “In fact, you look very pretty, so stop fidgeting.”

“You always say that!” Sophie huffed as she sat at the table, though the smile on her face was undeniable.

“Now, I’ll pick you two up after my classes,” Lia informed them as she placed the bacon and eggs on the table. “Is that alright with you two?”

“No problem,” Henry replied while Sophie simply shrugged it off.

The doorbell rang and Sophie went to get it.

Lia sat and loaded her plate with food, but immediately stopped when Sophie had called, “Lia…” The alarm in her younger sister’s voice was enough to bring Lia to the door with haste.

There were two policemen there, looking at her, their expressions grim.

“Go back to the kitchen, Sophie,” Lia said, her voice barely above a whisper.

“But--” Sophie protested.

“Go back!” She snapped as she stepped out the doorway, making sure that Sophie had done as she requested before closing the door.

“Miss Lia Makkena?” One of the officers asked her.

“Yes? What’s this about?” Lia asked, her voice quivering.

“It’s about your parents, ma’am,” the other policeman said. “They’ve been in a car accident, and I’m afraid we’ve some grave news for you.”

---------------------

So, what do you think? Please do comment! I'm not sure whether I should continue or not.