17. To Be Crown Prince... So Easy!

That day, the officials at the morning court were all buzzing with excitement.

Pleasant news came from the northwest! The disaster from the broken dam was quickly handled by the third Highness, Xie wang.

Human casualty were lowered to the minimum even though it was still large. The starvation, famine and epidemic that naturally followed calamities like these were prevented. Infrastructures were slowly being rebuilt with sturdier materials. The common people sang praises to his Highness, their hero and to his Majesty, the son of Heavens.

Prince Xie's supporters scattered across the different-ranked officials were naturally beaming with pride.

"Bi xia, this official sees Third Highness as a blessing to Da Xia. Wherever he is, our great nation greatly benefits." The Left Prime Minister Wu's wrinkled eyes were gleaming with happiness. It was as though his own son had done a great accomplishment.

And why wouldn't he be? When he married his youngest pearl off to the third prince to tie their families together and to show his utmost support?

Such a bold remark was met with similar replies all around him. It was obvious what they were planning. Flaunting Xie wang's achievements to the Emperor was for his Majesty to finally name him Crown Prince.

Not once had Emperor Du Liang talked about proclaiming an heir ever since he assumed the throne even though he already had children back then.

Seeing as he was in his mid-fifties, now was the time to pick an heir. And of course, these officials wanted to pressure the Emperor to choose the pillar they themselves chose.

This side had smiling bearded old men while the other side was neither too gloomy nor they shared the happiness.

"Left Prime Minister Wu's mind is disarrayed because of so much happiness. Of course, his Highness the third prince is doing his best to serve our treasured nation. Aren't all bi xia's dragon seeds that way?"

The mentioned man nearly choked when he heard this statement from Right Prime Minister Fung. If he said no, then that meant he insulted the Emperor's sons. If he said yes, then the third prince's limelight will be reduced.

It was a word play worthy of an old wily fox!

One must know that the right prime minister was the staunchest supporter of the first Highness, Dao wang.

The Emperor watched his beloved officials bicker back and forth with his usual ignorant and distant look. It was only Eunuch Min who was by his side who could see the hilarity hidden deep.

Every morning, Xia Chun woke up even before the rooster crowed for the morning court and he treated it as form of entertainment. They were always so lively when they were arguing about something.

They were thinking of forcing his hand to write the imperial decree to name the Crown Prince but they all looked like spoilt children to him. Xia Chun would especially like to keep the left and right prime ministers as pets and wouldn't get tired of their fond quarrels.

Eunuch Min winced inside himself. He, more or less knew what the Emperor was thinking. These poor officials never once doubted that the Emperor was only a shell of a sovereign and that they were the true ones leading the government. But they all looked like dancing monkeys in front of this great deity here.

"Your Majesty, this lowly official has an important matter to bring up." Left Prime Minister Wu personally handed the memorial he wrote to Eunuch Min.

"The memorial's contents are the valid proofs that the third Highness, Prince Xie is the most suitable candidate to be Crown Prince. Please consider it, bi xia!" Then, he started kowtowing along with the half of the officials in the Grand Deity Hall.