October 4 (edited)

"C'mon, Brandon, I know you can get this. It's all just so simple," Nikki chastised as I answered another question incorrectly.

Truthfully, I had only gotten them wrong because I wanted to spend the extra time with her, but I could tell she was getting frustrated.

She began explaining for the umpteenth time and asked me another question. This time I answered it right. Her face brightened up, and she asked me another.

For the next hour or so she kept on asking me questions, and we finally moved on to another subject. Soon enough our homework was finished, and since we had no place to go, we just messed around in the library.

Then everything paused. Well that's what it seemed like to me. It felt like the world stopped moving and it was just me and Nikki. We started leaning in, and the kid inside me was jumping up and down in anticipation. But then...

"Brandon!" MacKenzie called. The librarian gave her a warning glare, which MacKenzie ignored.

"Um, hey, MacKenzie."

"Such a fancy seeing you here. Especially you, Nikki. You said you would help me with my homework today," she whined.

I raised a brow skeptically. Nikki helping MacKenzie? I never thought I'd see the day when those two were ever friends.

"Wait. I nev-" Nikki started saying before she was cut off.

"Well, I'm sure it would be just the greatest if you were to stay, Brandon, but we really must get studying. Isn't that right, Nikki?"

Nikki was gaping like a fish, but she regained her calm composure and said, "Yeah, let's hop to it. There's a lot of stuff we need to go over."

I got out of my seat and smiled sheepishly at Nikki. "I'll see you again tomorrow? There's still a lot I need help on."

She nodded and smiled back. "Yeah, as long as you need me I will be there." We shared a look until MacKenzie broke us out of our small trance by clearing her throat.

"See you tomorrow, Brandon," Nikki said for the last time. I turned around and walked home.

*~*~*~*

Grandma and Grandpa were sitting at the dinner table, eating tuna casserole.

"Look, Betty, he's finally home," Grandpa remarked with a mouthful of food.

Grandma dabbed the corners of her mouth with a napkin. "We were just about to call you to see where you were. Not anywhere we wouldn't want you to be, I hope."

"Yep, you got me. I was studying at the library with Nikki. I'm ready to accept full responsibility for my actions."

I sat down at the table and made myself a plate.

"You and her have been getting pretty close, haven't you? She's all you talk about now," said Grandpa.

"Are you guys together now? Oh my, I've been waiting for this day since she came to your middle school," Grandma chirped.

I shook my head and bit into my casserole. "We're friends, Grandma."

"Boulderdash! I know you like her. You can't stop talking about her! I see how you practically stare at her whenever she helps around Fuzzy Friends."

"Staring is rude, Grandma. I don't stare."

"Yes, Honey, you do. And I can see why. She is very pretty, and I would really love it if you two ended up together."

Ha, you're not only one, believe me.

"Okay, Grandma," I laughed despite my thoughts.

After dinner I had texted Nikki.

Me: Thank you for today

I waited by the phone like a pansy until she finally answered.

Nikki: Thank you for trying your hardest

Me: How did the thing with MacKenzie go

Nikki: Tbh it was sad. She didn't seem to understand half of what I was trying to explain to her. Then she threw a hissy fit so I got up and left

I laughed and called her.

"You don't have to call me, you know?"

"Yeah, I did. You seem very frustrated. Maybe saying it instead of texting it would really get it off your chest."

"Let's just say she might need a professional tutor because I don't have the patience or the energy," Nikki sighed. I could tell she was exhausted from the tone of her voice, and I wondered if she likes footrubs. That's what Grandpa gives Grandma whenever she's had a long day.

"Next time I'll stick around so you won't have to deal with her alone."

"Thanks, Brandon. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Have a good night, Nikki."

"You too." And the line clicked dead.