October 6 (edited)

We sat at a table near the kitchen, so with all of the crashing and banging, it was hard to hear anything she was trying to tell me.

Still, I tried my best, and she seemed to have heard everything I said.

"Why did you take me out tonight?" I asked her.

She looked up from over her menu and answered, "I feel like we can be something, that we'd be stronger together. You would hardly ever give me a chance, so I thought this would be a good idea."

"Oh," I said, "Well I don't think it's a terrible idea, but I would think you'd tell me you were planning to kidnap me and take me to dinner."

She smiled and set down her menu. "No one ever plans a murder out loud, do they?" she jokes, and I figure, how bad could this really be? She's kinda easy to talk to, and she already seems to love me.

Her smile fades.

"But I don't want you hanging around with Nikki, if that's alright." I raised my eyebrows, sort of confused as to why I shouldn't be friends with her. She notices my confusion. "It's not that I don't like her or anything, I just don't trust her. She can be sweet and all, but I don't think it would be such a great thing for our relationship, you know?"

I nodded, finally looking over my menu to somehow calm me down. "She's actually nicer than you expect, MacKenzie. She wouldn't hit on me if she knows we're together."

"Mhm," she replied looking back at her menu.

After dinner she took me home, and I texted Nikki as soon as I walked through my front door.

Me: Date's over

Nikki: How'd it go

Me: It was alright. The food was great.

She didn't reply as fast to this one.

Nikki: The date was alright? Why alright? It wasn't a magical ball for Mr. Prince Charming ;-)

Me: Lol no. She doesn't want me hanging out with you if we're gonna be a thing.

Nikki: Oh. It's ok I understand

Me: Oh no!! I was just saying that she doesn't want me to talk to you not that I didn't want to talk to you

I waited another five minutes before she replied. Honestly, I felt like a desperate girl waiting for it.

Nikki: Well there's obviously an ultimatum here but you don't have to spare my feelings

Me: Nikki idk what I want

Nikki: Just get back to me when you've thought it all through. Night

Night? She never says "night." She says "goodnight," the whole word. I must have made her angry or sad or something. I didn't mean to. I just wanted her to know what was going on.

My phone buzzed again, and I hoped it was Nikki telling me she was sorry for the sudden "night." It was MacKenzie, telling me she a magical night and saying we should do it again sometime.

I smiled and texted her a goodnight. Maybe this won't be so terrible.

Maybe.

It's like the word I live by or something. Maybe, maybe, maybe. Maybe I'll make it through the day without falling asleep. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Maybe Nikki will like me back as much as I like her. And now, maybe MacKenzie and I will be great together and meant for each other.

Honestly, I didn't know how I felt about that. The whole "you can't talk to Nikki again" issue really rubbed me in the wrong way. I really like Nikki, maybe not as more than a friend now that I'm with MacKenzie, but I don't want to ignore her.

Maybe I won't have to shut her out completely. But then again, I'm with MacKenzie now. So maybe I'll never talk to Nikki again. And it just so happens that maybe, just maybe, I don't want that to happen.