October 7 (edited)

As I made my way to my locker, Chloe and Zoey were making their way to me. I couldn't help but notice how fast they were going too. Where's the hall monitor when you need one? "You're dating MacKenzie!?" they both yelled.

"Yeah, why? Is it wrong?" I asked. It was obviously wrong if they screamed.

"No. It's sweeter than pumpkin pie. Of course it's wrong!" Zoey yelled, again.

"I'm sorry, but it's not like Nikki liked me anyway!" I immediately regret what I had said. Chloe got close and personal and in my face.

"You can't honestly tell me you don't notice how much she likes you, Brandon Roberts!" she says. "She's been head over heels since middle school!"

"I had no idea... Should I stop dating Mac?

"Who in the world- You gave MacKenzie a nickname? Get your life together, Roberts!" Zoey retorted.

What do I want? Who do I want? It's like the world is moving around me or something. I put my index finger and thumb on the bridge of my nose and try to sum up the mess my life is slowly becoming.

*~*~*~*

"I choose you," I said. She was talking to her friends when I said it it.

"What do you mean 'you choose me?'" Nikki asked.

"I've been stupid, incredibly stupid, for picking MacKenzie over you. I am in love with you, Nikki Maxwell."

"That's, uh, quite flattering, Brandon, but I-"

"Did I come on too strong? I'm sorry; I know it was out of the blue, but I just needed to say it."

"Brandon, seriously. I kinda-"

"I mean I don't expect you to just love me right away, but Chloe and Zoey told me you liked me back in middle school, so I kinda figured it wouldn't-"

"Brandon!" she yelled. Her friends that had stepped away to give us space edged minimally towards us. We caught the attention of whoever was in the hallway at the moment.

"I'm dating someone already. I did have a crush on you in middle school, but I've grown out of it, you know? And I'm sorry I had to turn you down like this, but I'm happy with my boyfriend now."

A boy taller than usual walked up and threw his arm around Nikki's shoulder. "Ready to go to lunch, babe?"

"Babe?" I asked.

"Brandon, this is my boyfriend, Sean." He smiled at me and clapped his hand on my shoulder so hard, I flinched just enough to bite my tongue.

"It's nice to meet you. You're the photographer she mentioned, right?"

I nodded. She mentioned me?

"That's great. I know a few guys who might need their pictures taken. I'll text you if they say something."

And since I really had nothing to say to him I nodded again.

"Yeah, have a good lunch, guys." Sean took her hand and pulled her away to the cafeteria. I shrugged my backpack higher onto my shoulder and headed towards the library.

My God, I never thought I'd see the day. She had a boyfriend. He was older, bigger, and stronger. He played football, and what's scarier: he possibly had better hair than me. And that's something I don't really think I can live with, especially if Nikki was dating the guy.

When did she even start dating him? How had I not noticed this before?

Before I had the chance to make it past the first page in my book, MacKenzie practically burst through the library doors and sighed in relief when she saw me.

"I was looking for you everywhere. Where the heck were you?" she gasped, out of breath.

"I had seen Nikki and said hi. She's dating this Sean guy."

"Sean Bridge! Well, well, well. Maxwell has expensive taste, doesn't she?" she joked.

I nodded my head stiffly and continued reading, annoyed by the fact that my girlfriend called Sean expensive.

MacKenzie pulled out a salad and two forks from her overpriced purse. She handed one to me and opened the container the food was in and began eating.

I wasn't saying much, but she tried to make small talk anyway, either avoiding the fact that I was irritated or simply not noticing. Either way, I was fine with it, but I still wasn't in the mood to talk.

"Um... You said something to Nikki?" she asked, trying not to sound just as irritated as me.

"Oh, yeah. I had just said hi," I lied.

"Oh, okay. That's... That's all?"

My thumb and forefinger went to my forehead and massaged away the small headache that was starting to build.

"MacKenzie, I can't just completely stop talking to her. She's one of the best friends I've ever had. But yes, Mac. I only said hello to her."

She nodded in silence this time and kept eating her lunch. I patted the hand she wasn't using, just to show that it wasn't her I was annoyed at. A smile spread across her face, and a hint of a smile played on mine. Then I went back to reading my book.