The first meeting

It was Eddie's first day of kindergarten. His mommy bought him new clothes for this "special occasion" like she said. Eddie couldn't understand why, but he went with it, even if the thing around his waist- which he learnt was called a fanny pack- was uncomfortable. At least he got something out of it: a toy train that he wanted for a little while.

He tried to make some friends, but most of them didn't want to because they thought he was a weirdo from the fanny pack around his waist.He considered throwing it away, but when he was about to do it, two boys approached him.

"H-Hi! I'm B-B-Bill and t-t-this is S-S-Stan. Do y-y-you want t-t-to be our f-f-friend?" Eddie eyed the two curiously. Bill had a speaking problem- he didn't know what it was called- and Stan looked so much mature than the rest of the 3 year old's in the room . He assumed they didn't have any friends either.  

"Sure! I'm Eddie." The boy presented himself , giving a wave to the others.

They went to a corner of the room and talked about toys and played with theirs. At some point, Stan pointed out a boy with curly hair, glasses and an awful-but interesting- style, who was running around to every person in the room. They decided to ignore him and went back to playing.

After a bit, Eddie hears a voice behind him.

"Hi! I'm Richie! Can i play with you guys?" Eddie looked at the boy and couldn't ignore the dirt stains on his shirt and jeans.

"No." Stan said eyeing the same dirt spots that Eddie was looking at.

"Haha! NO one wants to play with you!" A boy who was watching the scene screamed. Tears started to run down Richie's cheeks.

"Sorry i bothered you." Richie said to the three boys before running to the door and out of the classroom.

"Stan! Why would you do that!" Eddie said getting up.

"He was dirty!"

"I'm not a fan of dirt either but we could have given him a wet wipe!"

Eddie ran out of the classroom, searching for the boy. He searched the hallways, the bathrooms and outside, but Richie was nowhere to be found. He lost all hope in finding the boy and started heading back to the classroom when he heard a sob coming from the janitors closet.

He opened the door only to reveal Richie crying into his knees. He kneel in front of the boy and hugged him tight.

"I'm sorry for my friend. That was mean of him. Of course i will play with you." Eddie said breaking apart from the embrace and searching in his fanny pack for a tissue. He gave it to the boy and he got his glasses to clean them while Richie was blowing his nose.

"Thank you" Richie whispered when Eddie put his glasses on for him

"Come on. Let's go back." They got up and headed to class. 

"You really meant what you said? You will be my friend?" Richie asked while they were walking.

"Of course. Everyone deserves a friend. Also, I'm Eddie." 

"Thank you Eds."

"My name is Eddie not Eds."

"I know, it's a nickname."

"Please don't call me Eds. Eddie is already a nickname"

"Sorry Eds, but i like it like this."

Eddie huffed while opening the door for them to enter. They looked around and spotted Bill and Stan. Stan was crying and Bill was trying to calm him down. When They saw the boys standing in the doorway, they ran to them. Stan hugged Richie while the other two were watching them.

"I'm s-s-so s-s-sorry, R-R-Richie. I sh-sh-shouldn't have s-s-said t-t-that." Stan said stuttering worse than Bill.

"It's alright, really."

"No it's n-n-not! I was m-m-mean. I'm sorry! Come play with us please!"

"Okay, thank you guys." Richie said and followed the three boys to the corner they were playing before.

That's how the best friends met. They always make fun of it and bring it up whenever they can: graduations, parties, their weddings....