Devastation, pt. 2

Devastation, pt. 2

Drew

How do you tell your best friend that your sister ran away? Better yet, how do you tell her best friend?

Apparently I preferred blurting it out.

"She ran away."

Shaun laughed. "Hello, Drew. I'm fine today. The weather is glorious. Please, do come in. Kay is in the living room waiting."

I nodded, mentally facepalming. Why did I do that?

"Kay!" Shaun yelled. "Drew's here!"

She stood up as we entered the room, and the sight of her put me at ease. She was breathtakingly beautiful--her wavy blonde hair complimenting her slightly tanned skin and her green eyes sparkling. But it was her personality I fell in love with--her humor, sarcasm and loving nature. She was calm when I was angry and strong when I was weak. She believed in me. She trusted me.

She understood.

"Drew, how are you?" She asked, pulling me into a hug.

"Honestly, a lot better now." I said, burying my face in her the crook of her neck.

After a few moments, she pulled away. "Will you please tell us what's going on?"

I nodded. "Shaun, can I please see that piece of paper now?"

He stepped forward from his spot in the doorway and handed me an envelope. "It's in there."

"Okay." I said, as we all took a seat around the coffee table.

Curiosity was getting to me, but I needed to get the story out first. "I need both of you to first sign something."

Kay shook her head as I laid out two confidentiality agreements. "Why do I need to sign another one?"

I sighed. They both had them on file, and they knew they did. "I'm telling you something that cannot leave this room, at least for the next few days. You are both signing this because you will be working alongside me, and it's procedure--best friend, girlfriend or some random stranger."

Shaun spoke up. "What if we don't want to?"

"Trust me," I said, "you will."

They looked at each other, as if trying to reach an agreement on the matter. Kay looked away first. "We'll sign it. What's one more signature going to hurt?"

I smiled as I watched them scribble their signatures on the black line. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." Shaun said. "Now tell us what the heck is going on."

"Okay, so..."

When I finished, they both wore expressions of shock on their face.

"But..."

"How dare she?"

I laughed. I had told them about Eve's disappearance and had just finished filling them in on Mom's affair.

Unsurprisingly, Shaun had been the first to react to the news. "One, he's not even that attractive. Two, what the heck? On the day her daughter disappears?"

Kay, however, came over the couch where I was sitting and placed her head on my shoulder. She was silent as I took her hand in mine and rubbed my thumb across it.

"Shaun, I realize how messed up the situation is. However, my biggest goal is to find her. She's my sister, for crying out loud. We might have our moments, but I would kill anyone who harmed a single hair on that kid's head. I need to know if she's safe. I need to know if she's eating. I need to know if she's got her medication. I need to know this stuff. I need to know why she ran away."

He sighed. "We'll do it. You can crash here, and tomorrow morning, we will head to the conference room and start looking for leads."

"Thank you, S. That's what I needed to hear."

"Yeah, well, you aren't the only one who loves that little idiot."

We all laugh. No, I wasn't. And I was thankful for that.