Watching, pt 1

Watching

Drew

She walked out on the stage, her typically calm demeanor replaced by a nervous one. "Hey, guys. As most of you know, this is my first time ever performing in front of a crowd. So, you'll have to excuse my nerves." Laughter filled the room as she began to strum a chord. "My brother and I grew up in this diner, and it was here, watching people perform on this very stage that I realized I wanted to be up here, standing in front of you guys much like they stood in front of me. D, thank you for bringing me here, and thank you for being here tonight. This first one's for you."

"I once was a little girl,

my brown hair in ribbons and curls.

Life was right,

and I slept at night,

all as a little girl.

You were by my side,

my shining knight,

keeping me safe from harm.

You knew me best,

you loved me most,

all as a little girl."

She strummed the guitar, her emotions clear on her face.

"But time moved on,

and we grew up.

My shining knight,

Where did you go?

You broke my heart,

and I left home.

My shining knight,

The monsters came,

and I know now

the games they play.

My shining knight,

I saved myself.

And I've moved on

to something else.

But my shining knight,

I'll make you proud."

The audience stood in oviation as she played the final chords. "Thank you, thank you." She said as the applause died down. I noticed the way her nose had gotten red, the way it always did before she cried. "How about a happier song, y'all? I can't have anybody crying on my first night here."

Laughter erupted from the room, and she began to play one of our childhood favorites.