Curveballs

Curveballs

Drew

Somewhere throughout my life, I should've learned not to ask what could go wrong.

But I didn't.

"D, it's okay. We just have to find another way to track her down."

Shaun and I had just gotten off the phone with Monica, the supposed secretary of the mysterious Sophia King.

"She just left, sir."

"Can you please leave her a message that pancake called? She'll understand."

"Sir, Ms. King has asked that I do not leave her messages that are not business-related. She is a busy woman and does not have time for socializing on the job." She said, as of reading from a script.

"Yes, ma'am. I quite understand that."

She hung up the phone.

"Let's try this from a different perspective." I said.

"What do you mean?"

"Let's have Kay call."

"Are you frickin' crazy? She just found out the girl she calls her sister went missing. You want her to possibly call her just to get rejected by some no good secretary?"

I shook my head. No, that wouldn't be good. "Here's the plan: get Kay to call." Shaun began to protest again. "Let me finish. She doesn't have to know who she is calling. We'll tell her it's a strange letter and we need her to tell if it's fake. I remember Kay in school. She could smell fake a mile away."

He sighed. "She's your girl. If she cries, you get to hold her."

I laughed, hitting him on the shoulder as I went to find Kay.

"Marco!" I yelled, making my way upstairs. When I didn't hear her yell back, I panicked. She always yelled back. "Kay!"

I checked her bedroom, only to find papers thrown off the desk and stuff littering the floor.

Please, please let her be okay.

"Kay!" I yelled. By this point, I had gained Shaun's attention.

"What's--"

I raised my finger to my lips. The silence was overwhelming, but I knew Kay would make some sort of sound.

At first, there was nothing. Then I heard her sobs.

Shaun gripped my shoulder. "Dude.."

"She's my girl, right? If she cries, I get to hold her?" I said, throwing his words back at him. "She might not want to see me now or ever, but right now, she's upset and needs somebody. And I'm not about to let her down."

He nodded before leaving the room.

"Kay." I said, walking up to the bathroom door. "Kay, I'm going to open the door. I'm going to need you to let me in."

She whimpered.

Please. Just don't hurt yourself. I wanted to say, but deep down, I knew I was too late.

As I gently opened the door, I saw the sight I feared most: the girl I loved hating herself.

"I guess you found me." She said.

"I would have kept searching until I did."

"Are you going to keep searching for Eve?"

She knew.

I sighed, positioning myself so that I could hold her. "Of course, I will. She's my sister. We hated each other because of what we thought the other had caused, but at the end of the day, we knew we could count on the other to be there."

"She looked up to you, you know?" She said, hiccupping. "And then you turned into this major jerk. She was so scared."

I mentally facepalmed before chuckling. "God, she told you everything, didn't she?"

"Everything but goodbye." She whispered.

Her body shook as she started to sob. And all I could do was hope Eve would someday come home.