Friendship

Friendship

Kay

"Kayla Danielle! Come meet your Dad's new boss and his family!"

I sighed, suddenly growing nervous. I had heard so much about this man--he was rich, handsome and a true family man. The perfect person for the position, they had said. He could lead the company to amazing things.

I checked my reflection as I walked out of my room, adjusting the simple navy blue sundress Mom demanded that I wear. "Coming, Mother!"

My sandals were loud against the hardwood, making everyone turn to face me as I walked into the room.

"Ah! Here she is!" Mom said before introducing me to everyone.

There was only one child present--Eve. She was intimidatingly beautiful; her long, chesnut brown hair was curled to perfection, and the red sundress she was wearing complimented her fair complexion.

"Hi." She said, after the adults had moved into the sitting room. "I'm Eve."

I smiled, ignoring the fact she had just been introduced to me minutes before. "Kayla, but please, call me Kay."

"Well, Kay, it's a pleasure to meet you."

And so began the best friendship I could imagine. From that moment, we were inseparable. Business dinners, balls, long and cumbersome meetings--we attended them all together.

And now she was gone.

I listened to the boys as they whispered in the hallway. Was she Sophia King? Why did she leave? Where did she go?

God, I could see the concern on Drew's face. He adored his little sister. Through it all, he refused to leave her side. He made people forget about rumors that were spread about her. He defended her, even when it meant hurting his own reputation.

But she didn't know. She didn't want to.

I laid down on the bed and buried myself into the covers. "Goodnight, E."