Hesitation

Hesitation

Kay

"No blue dots." He had said, disappointment evident in his voice.

"I'm sorry, D." I said, placing a hand on his shoulder.

His face softened. "It's not your fault. It's mine."

We looked at each other for a brief moment, unaware of what to do. I could see the wheels turning in his head as he thought, and I silently waited to hear what he was thinking. Finally, he spoke, "Are you free today?"

I nodded, surprised. Was he not thinking about Eve? What about the mysterious clue? I bit my lip. "Why?"

"I need you to come with me."

Where are we going? Is this a date? Is it for Eve? Does he have a clue where she might be? If so, why is he being so secretive?

I wanted to ask him questions. I needed to ask him questions. But I simply nodded. "Okay."

He scanned my face before exiting the room, stopping every few rooms to look for Shaun. Cautiously, I followed.

"D, Shaun's--"

He spun around. "I'm not looking for Shaun."

"Then what are you--"

"Go put on business attire." He said, his tone strict. "Now."

And in that moment, I knew. I was no longer dealing with the Drew I was twenty minutes ago. I was dealing with a rare side of him, the side he only showed in the business world.

And in that moment, I knew. Something wasn't right--and he knew.

I simply turned in the direction of my bedroom, not saying a word in reply. Drew and I grew up in similar worlds, but we were different when it came to the way we approached things. To me, a strict business tone is to only be used inside company offices. To him, it's a shield, something he uses as a defense when things go wrong.

"You shouldn't let him use that tone on you." Eve had once told me. "It's rude, and he should know you're not one of the help."

I had laughed. Of course I wasn't "one of the help", as she had liked to say. I was in a high ranking position from birth, and he was the only one who dared speak to me in a tone I was scared of.

I sighed, taking in the racks of clothing. Business attire, business attire. It was all business attire. Suits, dresses, blazers, cardigans, dress shirts. Each served a purpose.

After a few minutes of debate, I settled on a pair of fitted black dress pants and a blazer, putting on a ruffled white shirt underneath. It was a simple look, but paired with red heels, it spoke volumes.

"D, I'm ready!" I yelled, making my way to the kitchen.

His voice yelled back, muffled. "I'll meet you in the Cherokee."

I suppose I should have realized then that something was wrong. But I didn't.

I stood in front of the door, my hand resting on the cold knob. Here goes nothing.