Next Step Part 2

"Do I look OK?"

"Will Momo actually come?"

"What if something goes wrong?"

Jirou was a nervous wreck by the time she reached the park. She nervously put her hands into her jacket pockets and touched the ring box gently.

Earlier that day, Jirou had texted Momo and asked her if she wanted to meet up somewhere. Momo had gladly accepted and told Jirou to meet her at the park around sunset.

She hoped Momo was feeling good enough to come. Momo had just recently got over a cold, and Jirou had noticed that she seemed a little off when they had talked. She didn't want to force her girlfriend to come if she wasn't feeling up to it.

She walked over to the park's fountain and peered over the edge. Looking at her reflection, Jirou wondered if she should have worn a dress. Mina had bought her a gorgeous purple dress and high heels- however Jirou had declined her offer. She explained to Mina that she was only going to the park and didn't need anything too fancy.

She hoped she was ready for tonight. Jirou hadn't made a plan ahead of time because Mina had insisted that Jirou didn't need one. "Just act natural!" Mina had told her before she left. Sighing, Jirou began playing with her earphone jacks nervously.

Suddenly, she heard someone behind her and she turned around. When she saw who it was, all she could do was utter, "Oh man."

Momo stood before her, smiling and waving at Jirou. She wore a beautiful red dress that went down to her knees. Momo's hair flowing around her shoulders and a flower was pinned to the top of her hair. Jirou gaped at her with sparkles in her eyes and Momo chuckled.

As Momo came closer, Jirou leaned up and accepted the small kiss from her. "When did I get so lucky?" Jirou whispered when they broke apart. "I don't know. How did you get so lucky?" Both women chuckled.

Jirou intertwined their hands and gently squeezed Momo's. "Do you wanna sit with me?" Jirou asked, gesturing towards the fountain edge. "You don't have to ask." They sat down and Jirou leaned her head against Momo's shoulder, while Momo rested her cheek against Jirou's head.

"The sky is so beautiful at this time of day." Momo said. "Not as beautiful as you." Jirou smirked, and Momo raised an eyebrow at her. "I'm being serious." They both laughed at Jirou's response.

"Did you plan something special for tonight?" Momo asked suddenly. Jirou was startled by the question and struggled to keep her balance. "Did she figure me out?" Jirou looked nervously at Momo. "W-well, I don't need an excuse to spend time with my girlfriend." She replied. She relaxed when Momo blushed and turned away.

"I brought you here tonight so we could spend some time together." Jirou muttered. Momo turned back to her girlfriend and looked at her. "Momo, ever since we met at UA, I think-- I think I always had a crush on you. You were just so perfect at everything-- perfect quirk, perfect grades, perfect everything. I had trouble admitting my crush because I thought I wouldn't live up to your expectations." 

"I guess I was wrong, because here I am now. Sitting with you, my girlfriend and love of my life. I'm still shocked that I was lucky enough to end up with you." A small tear dropped from Jirou's eye, and she smiled. "I'm just so happy."

"I am too." Momo replied. She pressed a kiss to Jirou's tear-stained cheek. "You taught me that there is more to life than being perfect. I learned that things can go wrong, but it's perfectly normal. I've learned that sometimes, breaking rules can provide one with so many new experiences. And... I've learned that finding love isn't so scary after all."

"I love you so much, Kyouka." As she spoke, Momo got down on one knee. Jirou's eyes widened. "That's why I must ask..." Momo began creating something from the palm of her hand. Jirou began choking back tears when she saw what Momo had created. 

"Will you marry me?" Momo asked as she held out a small box containing a ring.

The floodgates opened and Jirou began sobbing. She fell to the ground, and Momo caught her with one arm. Through her sobbing, Jirou managed to mumble something quietly. "What did you say, love?" Momo asked. She pushed Jirou back so she could get a better look at her.

"If I accept, will you marry me?" Jirou asked. Jirou pulled out her own ring from her pocket, and Momo teared up. "I planned on asking you, but I guess you beat me." Jirou chuckled. Momo responded by grabbing Jirou by her jacket and pulling her in for a kiss. Jirou tangled her hands into Momo's hair, while Momo held on to Jirou's waist.

"Is that a yes?" Jirou asked as they pulled away. "I don't know; you haven't accepted my proposal yet." Momo smirked. Jirou glared at Momo and pulled her back in for another kiss. "Does that answer your question?" Jirou said. Momo hummed softly as she thought. "I suppose it does. Maybe one more for good measure?" Jirou rolled her eyes and brought Momo back once more. "Yup. That confirms it."

Jirou stood up and helped Momo to her feet. Once they were both standing, Jirou extended her hand out to Momo. Momo was confused for a moment, before noticing Jirou gesturing towards the ring in Momo's hand. "Of course." Momo slipped the ring on to Jirou's ring finger, before extending her own hand.

Jirou took her own ring and did the same, admiring how perfect the ring looked upon Momo's hand. She looked up at Momo and smiled, Momo beaming back at her. "This is only the beginning of our journey." Momo said. Jirou nodded in agreement. "A whole future to look forward to." She added.

They began walking out of the park, listening to the crickets' chirping. "We'll have to break the news to the others tomorrow. They'll probably screech when they see our rings, especially Mina." Jirou said. Momo chuckled. "We still have time. Why don't we go over now?" Jirou shook her head. "I'd rather spend time with you tonight." 

Momo blushed and Jirou smiled at Momo's adorableness. Gosh, the woman was just too cute for her own good. Once the reached the park entrance, Jirou turned towards Momo and took her hands in her own. 

"I love you Momo." 

Momo's expression softened.

"I love you too, Kyouka." 

Finished this earlier than expected, so I published it as soon as I could. I think it's my longest chapter yet! I know I've said this many times, but thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :)