29: My mother

The first thing Alina's sight sensed was Fatima's head scarf, the specific green fabric was not twriled around her neck as usual, but wrapped on her head, a layered hijab neatly layed like a crown, white bead pins securing any displacement.

Smile wavered on Alina's lips, she rushed to pry off her overwhelming feeling by huging her bestie. "Fatima! - " she said breathless, uncontrollable grin splattering, flashing her white teeths.

Ya Allah.

"Fatima, I thought - I thought no one is going to.... thank you. Thank you so much." she squeezed Fatima into a tight embrace, Fatima chuckled, perhaps surprised by her friends reaction.

"You aren't alone,"  she hugged her back, her brown earthly orbs looking back into Alina's ocean eyes. "You will never be, Fatima or no Fatima, Allah is with you." Fatima pulled back, mimicking Alina's grin with her owns.

"You know it means a lot." Alina said, it sounded more like a whisper.

Her gaze swiped around the parking lot, cars lined, but absences of owners, Eric had dropped Alina in the parking lot and as usual Alina was late.

"Where is Caroline --" She asked, and saw glints of amusement dancing in Fatima's eyes, wrinkle formed at the end of her orbs, lips pursed, barely holding her laugh.

"Don't you dare laugh!" Caroline's voice bloomed in the atmosphere, Alina followed Fatima's line of vision and saw Caroline's thin, clumsy figure, approaching towards them.

Fatima burst out laughing, a full belly laugh, threw her head back. Alina, herself felt a chuckle leaving her lips, at the sight of Caroline's messy state.

Caroline had managed to twirl the green scraf around her head, her strawberry blond locks escaping her wrapped fabric, falling on her face, one hand brushing the strands away, with a fix scowl on her face, and the other clutching onto the hem of slipping scraf, it was indeed a hilarious sight.

"This thing is not made for me." She grumbled like an tired old lady, she let go of hem and the scraf immediately slipped from her head.

"Oh!! That look was priceless." Fatima's laugh died down abruptly, she gripped her sides, whining "and that hurts." then again chuckled, her finger pointed at Caroline's fallen scarf.

"You may stop laughing now, young lady or you are grounded for eternity. " she said dryly to Fatima,

" - Coming for help or not?" Caroline said looking at Alina, raised her perfectly plucked eyebrow.

"Oh! Yes, yes." Alina covered the distance and reached for the green fabric slung on her best friend shoulder. placed it on her head, covering all her hairs.

"Pins!" Alina said, held her hand out, Fatima who stood by her side, opened a red box, which she had taken out of her bag. The box had many colourful hijab pins embedded in white cotton ball.

Alina hooked the scarf under Caroline's chin with sliver safety pin, took the long end and wrapped it around her head, adding layeres, thumb gently pressing to erase any wrinkles or lumps. Alina's wide grin didn't faltered from her face while fixing it. Caroline smiled knowing Alina's happiness.

"Here you go." Alina pinned each layer, wrapped her arms around Caroline, coiling her in a hearty embrace. "Thank you." She whispered 

"Ah, that's alright, what are friends for, " Caroline waved her hands in the air. "And from friends I remember something."

Caroline punched Fatima on her arm, she whined and rubbed her arm,

"What's that for!"

"Oh, I wonder," she paused, thumb under her chin, finger tabbing on her cheek, "ah -  you didn't tell me about the pins. Huh?" She screeched.