CHAPTER 23 - PROMISE

LiZhao walked back and forth in the spacious room. Every once in a while, pausing to stare at the still figure on the bed. Before pacing again. 

  What if he doesn't wake up...

I'll force him awake.

  What if his leg doesn't heal?

I'll carry him.

  What if he falls ill?

I'll buy him the best medicine money can buy.

  Questions and answers bounced back and forth in LiZhao's mind. Nonstop.

  When he arrived at the scene, he saw YuLin's pigeon a little way away with some girl on its back. Frantically scanning the crowd, not seeing those red eyes, he ran into the building without a second thought. Scaling beams to get to the upper floors. 

  When he couldn't find YuLin anywhere, his mind grew crazy, and he actually contemplated staying in the building. If YuLin died... then he might as well. But then, that clear crisp sound reached his ears, three rings of a bell.

  And now here they were.

  LiZhao glared at the YuLin's limp body on the bed. Just what was he to him that he'd make himself consider perishing in flames... Just what was YuLin to him that made his heart beat and warm.

  LiZhao huffed and returned pacing when a light knock came on the door.

  "Who is it." He growled.

  "It's QianDu, General. I've found them, the rioters that started the fire."

  LiZhao's face instantly grew ten times darker as he commanded in a deadly calm voice. "Bring them in."

  The doors opened and three people were pushed in and sprawled across the floor. They all hastily got up into a kneeling position and kept their eyes to the ground.

  A middle-aged man, an old crone and a young man.

  LiZhao was expressionless as he spoke, but all three flinched at the sound of his voice. "You three have committed a grave crime. Do you recognise your crimes."

  The old crones head snapped up as she spat at the general's feet. "A crime worth it if it was a shot at your worthless life!"

  QianDu was about to step forward to teach the old woman a lesson but LiZhao held up a hand to stop him.

  "Yet it was not a shot at my life. Instead at an innocent young man, and a nine-year-old girl. What an accomplishment." LiZhao said with a heavy undertone of sarcasm.

  The crone flinched at the mention of the young girl. "That... that was a mistake. Everyone was warned to leave-"

  "Mistake or not, you put innocent lives at risk."

  The crone's hate-filled eyes glared at LiZhao, "What else can I do!" She shouted, "Not only are you taking away my only son! But my only grandson too! He's just a boy! This stupid war of yours... get your own soldiers, why drag the common people into it! You bastard! This is inhumane!" She screamed.

  The doors behind slammed open as footsteps rapidly sounded towards them. LiZhao raised his head to see the Lady of the household, lady Ya, striding towards them. 

  She came to a halt in front of the old crone. A slap resounded across the room.

  "You old bitch. Must you be so narrow-minded? Who here doesn't know the emperor keeps soldiers to himself? What uneducated swine wouldn't know that if the demons win us common people are dead? By the way," She said in a fierce voice, "That was my sister you almost burned to a crisp!" She stepped back and stood beside LiZhao, humphing.