CHAPTER 25 - FAREWELL GIFT

LiZhao had the most comfortable sleep for a long time. When he woke, a smaller, sturdy body rested against his. His arms wrapped around the other's body like snakes, LiZhao's chin above the other's head. LiZhao leaned back and observed the sleeping face. Such peacefulness gave LiZhao a sense of joy he was unfamiliar to. He received even more joy when Yulin leaned forward unconsciously to close the gap between them. Snuggling in the process. LiZhao was unaware that a heartwarming smile was spread across his face as he hugged YuLin and buried his face in his soft hair, contemplating the changes happening in his heart of stone.

  An hour later, YuLin woke up alone on the bed. He groggily scrubbed his eyes and recalled yesterdays events before dropping back onto his pillow with a groan. What was he thinking of kissing the general! Maybe he has impulse control issues... Or the incubus part of him was really strong... or maybe he simply just wanted to kiss the general...

  Whilst YuLin troubled himself with complicated thoughts blushing ever so often, his sisters came rushing in.

  "YuLin YuLin how are you!" They asked.

  YuLin peaked above his pillow and mumbled, "With a broken leg, how am I supposed to be?"

  The sisters gasped and glanced at each other and mumbled amongst themselves.

  "That general is ruthless!"

  "How is it even possible with a broken leg?"

  "Ayia, there's more than one position you know!"

  "But still...how tiring..."

  "It must've been for YuLin...Remember how refreshed the general was this morning? He almost smiled!" Fei muttered with a shiver.

  YuLin had long since blocked his ears, there was a budding suspicion in his mind that his sisters may be what people called fujoshi...

  Mei hushed everyone before speaking up, "Anyway, we're here to tell you our next destination is the border of Shui province. Recruiting is almost done, we're leaving midday and you'll be travelling with us in the carriages."

  YuLin smiled, "Oho, I can be pampered by the four beauties whilst travelling, how lucky!" 

  Cui smiled coyly and said, "Oh I'll no doubt pamper you."

  The other three stared at her with a raised eyebrow.

  Cui coughed and said, "I mean...we'll pamper you..."

  YuLin was rolling about the bed laughing whilst keeping his hurt leg raised to avoid squashing it.

  Once everyone was packed and ready to leave, YuLin hobbled on his crutched towards the carriage before turning at the gate and seeing a tearful Lady Ya.

  ChenXiang lightly bit her trembling lower lip as she saw YuLin turn around. She knew what he was off to face, this war was no easy game. She had something she wanted to tell YuLin but decided it was not her place to. You see, she knew the general's family, their predecessors were friends and information was passed down regarding the general. He was blessed and cursed at the same time. He could draw great strength from a mysterious source when in peril rivalling the powers of demons, however, every time that power is used, a part of his heart hardens. ChenXiang knew this from eavesdropping on their parents when they were alive, they sympathized heavily with his parents. ChenXiang did not believe this until she heard how the general single-handedly opened the gates that require ten men to open. 

  ChenXiang looked at the back figure of the general on a horse in the distance, a lonely shadow before her eyes came back to YuLin, who suddenly leaned on one leg and opened both arms. 

  ChenXiang forgot her formalities as she ran forwards and embraced YuLin. YuLin's arms closed around her as he smiled easily, he knew partings were a hard thing... and a grave feeling bid him say goodbye.

  "Don't cry ChenXiang, be strong and watch over your sister. I hope she recovers from her nightmares... Tell her XiaoQin will stay behind and watch over her."

  ChenXiang opened her eyes wide in shock, "But you can't! He's your beast!... I-I don't know how it works but isn't he bound to you spiritually?"

  "Yes, we share a portion of our souls and are linked spiritually... I'll miss him, but he can do much more for your little sister. I've seen her play with XiaoQin, she sees him as her friend."

  Speaking of the devil, YaYao came crying down the stairs of the front gate, her nose running as well. "Lin GeGe! You can't leave!" She flung herself on YuLin's legs and hugged with a death grip.

  YuLin winced as he went off balance for a second. He patted YaYao's head, "GeGe will still be with you, he's leaving a part of himself behind. XiaoQin!" He whistled. Not a moment later the blackbird landed on YuLin's shoulder and nuzzled his beak to YuLin's face as if sensing what was going to happen. "XiaoQin, look after YaYao ok?" The bird nuzzled more furiously, borrowing its head into the crook of YuLin's neck. "I'll miss you too..." 

  YuLin extended his hand which XiaoQin jumped onto, and lowered it to YaYao's shoulder where he now perched. "Look after him ok? He loves being petted..." YaYao only cried harder.

  ChenXiang leaned into YuLin's ear and said "My family's QinGong martial artists are the best of the world, all three thousand personally trained by the great masters. When you need them, and you will, don't hesitate to shoot this firework into the air. We have eyes far reaching the land, they'll arrive at the demon realms within two hours... Don't forget to use it."

  YuLin's hands wrapped around that small, black cylinder like firework and looked at ChenXiang greatfully... they really needed every soldier they could get.

  "And one more thing... the general... he has a hard heart, you help him soften it." She said with a meaningful look in her eyes.

 But YuLin did not understand.

  With a final hug, ChenXiang pulled YaYao away and they watched as the carriages sped off.

  "JieJie... Will Lin GeGe come back soon?"

  ChenXiang sighed, "Let's go back in... the weather is getting cold..."

  In the carriage, YuLin sat silently with his head leaned against the wooden beams of the window.

  Lan looked up, "You don't like farewells do you?"

  YuLin smiled and replied, "No... for me...they always feel final."

...............................................................................................................

Author tries to be coy...

In the carriage - YuLin being fed and pampered by his sisters

The general - drowing in an ocean of vineagar

QianDu - Have some dignity general...

Straw dummy - Oh no not you again!!!

..........................................................................................................

A/N- ahhhh.... sorry not much happened this chapter...

but stick with me till the end! I promise the finale will be worth it !!!

Hope ya'll enjoyed!