CHAPTER 26 - A STRANGE FELLOW

Half a month had past by as they traveled through Shui province.

  With each passing day, the air around the solders only grew tenser and tenser. Only YuLin was a blessed to smile through the day, giving the people a source of happiness with his silliness.

  YuLin and the general's relationship was regarded as strange by many. They were together most times, if YuLin's at the training grounds, the general will be checking the armoury next to the training yard. If the general was going over papers in his tent, YuLin will be lazing about on the bed. Sometimes the general would reach out and tug at the stray ends off YuLin's har, a complicated expression on his face, sometimes YuLin would reach out to hold the general for no reason. Yet both stopped and turned before either carried on. They were both unsure and confused. LiZhao more so, with the knowledge that he witnessed YuLin parent's death.

  He wanted to tell YuLin but a dreadful sense of guilt nagged at him, squeezed at his heart. What if YuLin were never to smile at him again, what if he demanded to leave... what if he cried... LiZhao furrowed his straight brows, he was beginning to understand that dreadful aching in his heart, the longing and wanting. He sighed and rested his head on one hand. Why must he have met YuLin now of all times.

  War is imminent, and YuLin will be on the front lines...There would barely be any time for LiZhao, he had no doubt he'd die in this war. If only they had met at another time, a more peaceful time, LiZhao would've courted YuLin properly, introduce him to his mother, shower him with gifts befitting a young lord.

  LiZhao could do nought but lament over his wishful thinking.

  QianDu strode in a second later with a young man behind him. 

  "General, we found this one on the hills watching us."

   LiZhao sharpened his gaze and looked at the man. He was shockingly handsome to the point it seemed out of this world, jet black hair with contrasting milky white skin, coupled with angular features and pointed eyebrows and eyes dark as night but with a shimmer, as if a layer had been pulled over its original colour.

 He was shockingly handsome to the point it seemed out of this world, jet black hair with contrasting milky white skin, coupled with angular features and pointed eyebrows and eyes dark as night but with a shimmer, as if a layer had been pulled ove...

  LiZhao stood and pulled his sword, QianDu upon seeing the general's reaction, followed suit and blocked the entrance.

  "Now now, that's no way to treat an innocent man is it?" the man drawled, a wicked grin appearing on his face.

  "You're no man though are you. What's a demon doing in the midst of a human army?"

  QianDu's jaw fell to the ground.

  "Oho, good observation. But then again, being around a halfling must've made your senses keener." He said as he drew over a a chair and sat on it crosslegged, back straight and head up, the arrogant air of royalty surrounding him. "Speaking of, where's little YuLin?"

  LiZhao swung his sword without doubt and the chair the demon was sitting on splintered and broke off into different directions.

  LiZhao looked up and found the demon perched on the desk.