|• chapter - 14 •|

The rain poured down as the thunder lit the dark sky up. How can it be so beautiful yet so dangerous? A shudder ran through me as the clouds collided above in the skies. How mesmerizing yet scary? I loved rain. It used to be one of the things that calmed me, it still does. The frantic beeping of my pager brought me out of my reverie. I rushed down to the E.R and saw a crowd gathered around. With great difficulty I made my way past them to my group while Dr. Hassan instructed us what to do.

"We have a crash emergency. Who here remembers the code colors?" Dr. Nadia asked and a few hands rose up, including mine. "Yes you sir, please tell. And everybody listen!" She yelled as the young doctor told us about them. "Correct! Now the situation is that two buses collided with one another on the highway and the damage is real. Very real."

"All you have to do is listen to your attending and do as they say. If they are not available then refer to another one or just do it yourself. Trust yourself and do what you think is right." Dr Hassan said making eye contact with each and everyone of us. He was reassuring us because if it was my first emergency then it must've been the same for all the others as well. We all nodded as Dr Nadia once again took charge.

"There were 12 passengers on one bus and on the other there were 24 so a total of 36 victims. Some of them are badly injured, some are minors, some are already dead. They will come in a rush and it will all be too much to handle and you will be stressed out and PANICKY but don't worry because we'll get through this okay?!" She said enthusiastically as a series of 'yeah's and okay's' rang out in the air.

Groups formed under each attending as sirens were heard. Everybody went silent as those sounds of horrid sirens came closer and closer until they were finally here.

The doors burst open and paramedics carrying all types of victims rushed in yelling their states. The groups began taking the patients one by one.

Dr. Shehryar quickly yelled out orders to ahmed and ali, giving them a badly injured patient who's femur had been completely destroyed and thus they rushed off with them.

"Sara you have the pregnant woman, get an ultrasound, CT, MRI and get on with her treatment for that burnt skin. STAT!" Dr. Shehryar yelled out orders leaving me only.

"TRAUMA 3, SHE'S BLEEDING OUT! WE NEED HELP OVER HERE!!!" the paramedics yelled as they shifted the victim to the bed.

"DR.ANNAYA GO!" Dr.Shehryar quickly yelled as he went somewhere else. I looked at the patient and quickly rushed over to her. My mind blank as I tried comprehending how badly the victim had been injured. "ARE YOU GOING TO DO SOMETHING?" the officer yelled holding onto the cut in her abdomen. "B.P is dropping!" A nurse yelled as I thought of a way.

"DOCTOR?!?!?!" The officer yelled again.

"I need a I need a urinary catheter, 14-gauge needle, arterial guide wire, occlusion balloon, and 20 cc of saline, STAT!" I yelled as the nurses brought in the whole thing.

I started my work as the officers whispered to one another "what is she doing?" And "I dont know I have no idea."

"Well, you don't have one, so I'm making a REBOA." I said clearly annoyed with the officers.
"A what?" He spoke again.
"A REBOA." I repeated myself as I joined the things together.
"Is that even a word?" One of the officers said and if I weren't busy, I would have seriously punched the hell out of him.
"Yes! A REBOA will occlude the damaged artery and stop the bleeding. Release the pressure." I ordered as the beeping slowed down.
"BP is stabilizing. 90 over 60." The nurse informed as I let out a breath. Wow, I did it. I saved a life. Oh God.

"Nice work, Dr. Annaya." Dr. Nadia congratulated me as I nodded at her still unable to say anything.

I made a REBOA, I whispered lightly trying to believe it. It felt so surreal.