|• chapter - 38 •|

A N N A Y A

The thirst for water woke me up from my deep slumber that I had after ages. I wonder what medicines they gave me to have such a peaceful sleep, especially after what happened.

I rubbed my eyes with my finger to clear my vision but what I saw had my heart lurching out of my throat.

Right beside me, shehryar was sleeping. His head was on my bed as he was clutching his hands together. He looked so sad and tired. My hands itched to comb through his brown hair and to trace his cheek with my knuckle but I restrained myself as I didn't want to wake him up.

"I love you Annaya..." his words when I got shot, repeated in my head. Did he really say that or was I hallucinating?

I sighed and layed back down, taking in every feature, every intricate detail of his face and embedding it in my head. I really wanted to tell him that I– I – was in love with him.

But then again, how can I? After everything that happened, I don't think he would want to talk to me. I wouldn't blame him because honestly, I am the reason his brother got caught and it's all my fault.

I wish I could show him my heart. I wish I could tell him how much he means to me, how much I love him and care about him. I wish he didn't get dragged into this. I wish he didn't have to witness this. I wish he wouldn't leave me. All of my wishes that remained a secret between me and my Allah.

"I love you Shehryar. I really do. I'm really sorry for what happened but I swear, I can never stop loving you." I whispered as a lone tear escaped my eyes.

I closed my eyes to prevent the flood from leaking out and I heard him shuffle beside me. I didn't open my eyes because I wanted to see if he had heard me or not.

Suddenly he bent down and came close to me, his smell infiltrated my nose as I kept my eyes shut. My heart was beating abnormally but I didn't care. Perhaps he would say something. Perhaps he would wake me up? Who knew he didn't do any of those things except wipe the tear that had fallen from the corner of my eye and with a small kiss on my head, he left. Not before whispering, "I love you, stay safe."

Hearing the door close, my eyes shot up and I touched my head. Was I dreaming? Did it really happen? Calm down Annaya! I chanted in my head but a big smile had graced my lips. I really hope this was real.

S H E H R Y A R

I came out of the room and went straight to Dr. Hassan as there was something I needed to discuss with him.

Upon hearing come in from inside, I opened the door and headed in.

"Oh shehryar! Come on in, have a seat." He said and I nodded taking a seat infront of him.

"Thank you." I replied.

"So how are you? Did you get a chance to meet Annaya? She's perfectly fine alhumdulilah and recovering too." He promptly told me while showing me her reports.

"I– no – I mean yes– I – nevermind." I blabbered.

"Shehryar is everything okay?" Dr Hassan asked worriedly.

"Yes everything's okay. Its just, I'm giving Annaya to you. I don't think I–" I stopped and taking a deep breath I continued, " I don't think she'd like to continue with me and I know you'll work just fine with her. I can't take her hate Dr. Hassan. I really can't."

"Okay Shehryar. Don't worry. But you do know it right? You do realize that you're in–"

"Yes uncle. I know. But it doesn't matter anymore–" I responded back.

"Sheyryar, stop."

I ran a hand over my face and with a deep, sad sigh and got up to leave.

"Ok." I replied and left before he could add anything else. Passing by Annaya's room I saw Armaan talking to her and her smiling. She was happy without me. It's better this way, I convinced myself.

Getting in my jeep I drove upto my house and without a word went to my room. I needed to sleep away my life if it were possible. But did anything ever go as planned?

A knock interrupted my train of thought.

"Not now please. Not now." I answered back and closing all curtains and light, I closed my eyes, trying to fill the emptiness in my heart and soul.

It's you Annaya. You fill all my voids. But now that I don't have you, who will fill my voids?

With that being the last thing in my mind, I drifted off to darkness.

I know a short chapter, sorry.

VOTE PLEASE