Chapter [5]: Mrs. Taylor

< Colby's POV:

At the doorway stood the one and only Brennen Taylor. Might as well arrest me. I'd stay in a jail cell then with him. Brennen looked at us in confusion and called for his mother I assume.

"Well, hello. How may I help you, officers?" The woman, a short brunette lady, asked politely. "Are you Mrs. Taylor?" The first police officer questioned. "Yes I am, Officer. Is there anything wrong?" She asked and furrowed her eyebrows.

Brennen soon got bored and walked inside after sending me a glare making me shiver. "Not at all. Cole's father passed away a while ago and his mother has been taken into custody. We would like him to stay here until we figure things out. Is there any problem with that?" The second Officer spoke.

"Of course not. I'll be glad to take him in. I'm sorry for your loss dear." She said then looking at me. I nodded lightly and looked down, at my feet, the thought of staying with Brennen scaring me to no extent.

They talked for a bit before the officers finally left. "Come in dear." The lady said sweetly and moved aside. I walked in before saying "T-Thank you for having me, m-ma'm." She nodded and sent a small smile. "Brennen!" She suddenly called when we heard a light groan.

"Cole here will be staying with us until further notice. Make him feel welcomed." She spoke sternly while Brennen glared at me making me tremble visibly. "Come on dear let's get you changed." Mrs. Taylor said and led me upstairs into the guest room.

< Brennen's POV

I walked up into my room and passed my the guest bedroom when I spotted mom in there. Colby was sitting shirtless on the bed, back facing me as mom cleaned his back,

I furrowed my eyebrows as I realized they were whip marks. He hissed slightly and mom apologized before she continued. I leaned against the door way curious to listen.

"Did your mother do this to you hun?" Mom asked worriedly and Colby sniffled. "S-She was drunk a-and.." he trailed off and mom soothed him. "It's alright hun. I'm sure she would never intend on hurting you." Mom said again trying to calm him down.

"Tell me about school. How are your friends?" She asked changing the subject. "I-It's... It's good." He lied leaving me confused. Why would he lie?I felt guilt fill me for an instant but pushed it aside and walked into my room.

I don't care about what he does or what happened to him. He probably deserves the- "He's getting abused." I whispered to myself in shock, my eyes widening.

< Colby's POV:

I put my shirt back on after Mrs Taylor he,led clean my wounds Mrs. Taylor and offered me a shower. She left me everything I would need in the bathroom and said we'd eat dinner together. I'm starving and hadn't eaten anything all day.

After my shower I put on some p-jays wincing at the pain of my bruises and packed everything up. Tears threatened to fall as o thought everything through, but I held them back and carefully walked downstairs. "Oh right on time." Mrs. Taylor said and sent me a smile.

Brennen rolled his eyes and I looked down. I sat a bit far from them and slowly ate my food although I was dying to just swallow it down. I watched as Mrs. Taylor added more food for Brennen since it was his favorite.

He smiled and kissed her cheek before digging in. "E-Excuse me." I whispered as I slowly stood up and walked into the bathroom. I closed the door and burst out crying as my legs felt weak.

I tried muffling my sobs but it was no use. I fell to the ground and cried as memories of mom filled my head. The hits, the screams, the harm. Why couldn't she just love me like a mother should love her child?

I gripped the sink weakly and struggled to pull myself up before washing my face. I looked into the mirror and realized my eyes were red from crying.

I decided to head back out before they get suspicious and try to accept the fact that I can't be loved like everyone else. I may not be the only one after all. I returned into the dining area and sent a small smile to assure them I was okay.

~~~~
(750 words)
🥀