Chapter [6]: Back and Better

< ?? POV:

I stand at the school doors as I look for my son. I was let out sooner than expected and needed to talk with him. I scan the place as I ignore the principal's chattering, not having any time for it.

I spotted a crowd far into the corridor where I heard light whimpers. I raised my eyebrow and walked off, ignoring the principal as he called after me. I pushed through the students and yelled "What's going on here?!" Everyone looked at me and scattered away instantly.

Colby was laying on the ground crying with his bare back visible. I felt slight guilt fill in me as some laughed at the whip marks I had formed on him. "Stand up." I ordered and he shuffled to stand up straight.

Once the teenagers realized who I was, their eyes widened and they ran off. Colby shook in fear as he coward away slightly, sobbing in silence. "Let's go." I ordered silently and he quickly followed, wiping his bloody nose.

||Back At Home||

< Colby's POV:
I follow mom in fear as we walk into the silent house. I braced myself for a beating and lecture as tears silently rolled down my face, waiting for the abuse.

"Hey, stop crying." Mom said softly as she wiped my tears with the pad of her thumbs. I was feeling a mix of emotions at the moment. I'm terrified, scared, sad, pained, confused.

Why didn't she beat me yet? Why didn't she curse out profanities at me?

"Colby, stop crying." She repeated a little more sternly. I sniffled and wiped the rest of my tears as I fiddle with my fingers and look at the ground. Suddenly, she did the unexpected and... hugged me.

I stiffened and my breath hitched before I shakily wrapped my arms around her and another sob escaped my lips. I missed her hugs, and don't remember the last time I had received one either.

"I'm going to change for you, Colby. You need a mother not someone who abuses you and treats you like nothing. I met a woman in jail, who brought me back into reality. What I've been doing to you... it's horrible. I regret everything I've done and I know you won't forgive me for this but I want you to know that I'm going to change, Colby." Mom ranted as she held my cheeks and looked into my eyes.

"I'm s-so sorry, love." She sobbed out and hugged me tightly. I slowly wrapped my arms around her, silent tears falling down my own face.

"I-I f-f-forgive you m-momma." I breathed out and rubbed her back. She sniffled and pulled away before smiling at me. My heart filled with happiness, for, I finally got my momma back.

"Go clean up and I'll make you dinner." She said softly and I nodded. I hugged her back once more and she kissed my forehead. "I-I missed you m-momma." I whispered and she kissed my head again, swaying us a little.

~~~~
(Hope this was not what you expected☺️)
(516 words)
🥀