Chapter [14]: Love Hurts

< Colby's POV:

These past few days we've been receiving a lot of homework and projects to complete and it's really stressful.

I carry my heavy books, placing them in my locker so I can take them before I leave home, and walk into the cafeteria to meet Brennen.

"Hey baby." Brennen said cheerfully as I walk to his table. "Hey." I said back in exhaustion and sat down. "Well someone's not happy to see me." He frowned.

"No, no, I am. Really." I assured. I truly was happy to see Brennen again. As he always knew how to bring a smile to my face. He scoffed and mumbled out a "Doesn't seem like it." I sighEd lightly but stayed quiet nevertheless.

"So I was thinking this weekend we can have a movie night and then we can go out late at night. Saturday we might-" Brennen rambled out plans but I stopped him before he can get too excited. "Brennen, calm down." I said making him raise an eyebrow.

"Pardon?" he asked confused. "Brennen you're m-making plans and didn't even ask if I can." I said softly making him roll his eyes. "Well can you?" He asked but I shook my head no. "Why not?" he questioned, a bit annoyed.

"I have a lot of school work to complete. I don't have the time." I explained softly. "Oh my gosh Colby. Live freely!" Brennen groaned. "I'm sorry Bren. Maybe next time." I said smiling lightly.

"Whatever. I'll just go with the boys instead." He said making my smile drop and my face turn into a hurt expression. He suddenly stood up and began walking away, I assume to speak with the 'guys'.

I sighed sad and looked down at the table. I feel bad that I don't have any time for him but I wish he would be a bit more understanding. I have tons of things to work on and I have a massive headache as well as a big fatigue.

Brennen doesnt have as much as me since he has different teachers and different programs for certain subjects though.

||Monday||

I walk into school after a long and dreadful weekend of studying, thankfully finishing on time. I looked around for Brennen and spotted him with his new 'friends'. I decided to leave him be.

He hasn't texted me all weekend nor called me once which made me a little sad but it was his choice to do so.

~~~~
I sit at the exact lonely table as I await Brennen to come over, when I spotted him walking into the cafeteria. Yet he walked over to his group instead of approaching. I nodded in understanding and picked at the disgusting cafeteria food.

I don't know why Brennen's been avoiding me to be honest. From all the chattering I've heard, Brennen and his 'friends' watched a movie in the cinema and then went to a party or something.

I stood up and slowly walked towards the group table, needing to talk to my boyfriend. "H-Hey, Brennen? M-May I please talk to you?" I asked softly trying to ignore the group's weird looks towards me. "One second." He stopped me and continued talking. "Brennen, j-just a quick word." I plead making him groan.

He apologized to the group and stood up before dragging me away from the . "What do you want?" He asked impatiently. "Well, it's nice to see y-you too." I frowned. "Just tell me what you want Colby." He said again.

"Brennen what d-did I do wrong? You didn't text me once t-this full weekend and have been n-neglecting me all day." I said looking at him with teary eyes. "I just want to have fun, Colby." He huffed. "A-Am I stopping you from t-that? Am I too much of a b-burden for you?" I asked tears threatening to fall but I held them in.

"Yes actually. You are." He blurted making me gasp. "T-Then.. Then break u-up with m-me if I'm too much of a burden to you." I sniffled looking up at him. "Alright then! We're done, Colby." He snapped before leaving. A tear rolled down my face and my heart full on shattered. I never thought he could let me go so fast.

I ran out of the cafeteria, balling my eyes out, pure sadness filling me. I ran into the bathroom and slid down the wall sobbing hard. I hugged my knees tighter as my body started shaking visibly. I don't know what I did wrong!

Love just hurts.