Ch. 12

By the time I had let out the majority of my anger I looked at the clock and realized I'd been at the gym for an hour and a half, and realized that Dakota would probably be home by now so I decided to leave.
-AT THE HOUSE-
I walked up the steps to the front door slowly and stopped before putting my key in; I hoped he wouldn't be too angry with me but I guess i was about to find out.
I walked through the door but I didn't see anyone, the tv wasn't on and I didn't hear the water running so he wasn't in the shower. I walked all through the house and I didn't find him in any of the rooms... he has to be here somewhere his car is outside, the thought ran through my mind and then I remembered the rocks out back... whenever he had a bad day or he couldn't sleep Dakota would always go outside to watch the waves crash on the beach a mile away.
"Hey..." I say inching towards him slower than I normally would.

He turned around and I could see the shine from the beer bottle in his hand. "Look who decided to show up" he said throwing his head back and emptying the bottle down his throat.
Wow, it's gonna be a long night
I sat down next to him and curled my legs up to my chest because the wind was chilly.

"I'm sorry I was gone so long.... I had to talk to my sister and then I needed to blow off some steam so I went to the gym." I said slowly and barely above a whisper.

"Yeah well, it's good to know that when shit hits the fan you just run off, really great Daniela." He snapped and threw the bottle causing it to shatter on the rocks in front of us.
I jumped at the complete change in character and tried to keep in the tears I could feel threatening to spill from my eyes; I didn't know what to do or say so I just stared at my feet.
-DAKOTA'S POV-
I threw the bottle and ran a hand through my hair trying to calm myself down only to hear a faint sniffle from beside me; shit, way to go asshole you scared her. "I'm sorry D, I didn't mean to scare you,"
I said looking over at her.
"It's okay." She said but it came out like a squeak, like every ounce of confidence she had was gone now.
I took a deep breath and tried to remind myself that her whole world just flipped upside down.
"Baby, I'm sorry talk to me. Tell me what happened" I said gently as I pulled her into my arms. She let herself fall into me and started to cry.
"I thought I would be able to handle it.... I - I thought that by the time he got out it wouldn't hurt anymore."
She sobbed as she helplessly tried to control her breathing.
"I know love, i know" was all I could say because truthfully I had no idea what she was going through all I knew was that I hated her father for breaking her heart and that I would never ever let anyone hurt like this again.