Ch.13

Dani's POV
I didn't get much sleep last night, my mind couldn't help but replay everything that happened in the days that led up to my father's trial. I remember my mom being on the phone a lot, and jasmine cried a lot. I remember not understanding what was going on, I was 10 years old and nobody would tell me anything.
Right now, as I stared out of our bedroom window that feeling came back, this time I knew what was happening because I was in the middle of it but I was still trying to wrap my head around how my life was coming full circle. When I was ten years old I watched the police cuff my father and take him to jail, and now if everything goes according to plan, I will be apart of the team that cuffs my father and takes him back to jail...
I don't know how long I was sitting there lost in my thoughts but the next thing I know I felt the warmth from Dakota's body embrace me and all of the uncertainty washed away, he made me feel safe and in that moment I prayed that I would never lose him because there is no way that I would be able to do any of this without him.
" what are you thinking about?" He asked as he rested his chin on top of my head
"Everything" I said just above a whisper.

      A few hours later we met with the rest of the team at the office and much to my relief my sister held up her end of the deal and showed up. 
  " Morning" I heard after the jingle from the bells on the door.
I looked over and was taken back when I saw my sister with bags under her eyes and her face was puffy; she'd been crying and had not slept all night, she looked exactly like she did all those years ago.
I took a deep breath in and let it out slowly... this was going to be hard. "Hey sis" I said giving her a weak smile.
DOG'S POV
  Jasmine walked in to the office about 30 minutes ago and the rest of us decided to give her and Daniela some time alone while we prepared to give a briefing and figure out what our best chances to catch their father would be.
In all my years of doing this job I have taken down hundreds of people, including people I once considered my friends and even family, but taking down my grandson's possible future father-in-law? Now that would be a first.
" Okay, we have to get started now guys." I say as gently as I can walking back into the main office area.
The girls pull away from each other but lock hands and walk into the briefing room along with the others
" Okay Leland, name and the physical"
Without missing a beat he responded, "Tapani Māhone, 5'11" no known tattoos but he does have a scar on his chin.
—" sorry, i don't mean to interrupt but he has three tattoos, all of them are on his chest above his heart, to my mom's name, my name, and Daniela's name" Jasmine interjected.
"Thank you for that detail Jasmine" i said nodding my head towards her.
" Dakota, what do we have on him?" I asked
DAKOTA'S POV
I let out a harsh sigh when my grandpa asked me to read the charges we had, i knew there was a possibility that i would not like what ever i read but i had an order to follow.
"For us, we have a failure to appear, and failure to check in, priors include assault and battery, breaking and entering, grand theft auto, and assault in the first." I felt my face getting hot with anger and my fists were balled so tightly that my knuckles were turning white.
Just as i was about to say something i felt a small hand grab mine and I immediately laced my finger with Dani's, she lifted my face so that i was looking her in the eyes, "its okay, he didn't hurt me, and now he never can, because I have you." She smiled softly and kissed my cheek. I pulled her into me and held onto her for a minute to calm me down, she was doing way better than i was considering this was her own father we were talking about.
DOG'S POV
" okay, jasmine, when was the last time you talked to your dad honey?" I asked now that everyone was calming down.
" um, he called me last night."  She said looking like she had just confessed the biggest kept secret.
" wait, what?" Dani interrupted
"Dani, please, let her finish" i jumped in to stop an argument from forming
"Like i was saying, he called me last night, i didn't say anything to him about this i swear, i just asked if he was okay and that i was getting worried when i hadn't heard from him in a while". She paused to look around the room and once she saw that everyone was hanging on to her every word she continued...
"He is staying in Ewa Beach." She finished
"Jasmine, great job if you're ever looking for a job we might just be able to work something out" i said half as a joke but the way she was able to keep her father from suspecting anything was pretty impressive.
"Thanks, but i think ill stay where I'm at, this isn't really my thing."
"Fair enough." 
"Okay, I'm going to have you call your dad up and just start a regular conversation with him maybe ask him to meet you for lunch or something, i think a common ground will be our best bet for getting this done quickly and quietly.
The team nodded silent agreements as Jasmine and Daniela shared a mutually sympathetic look and nodded together.
Here we go.