4. Drunken Misery

Aaron

Would you call it bad luck if you end up working with the same person you spent years hating?

Clara Avery, the girl that I despised with every nerve fibre in my being, the immature, materialistic narcissist who just cares about herself and every other person is a pawn in her life. The girl who can stoop down to the lowest, if it benefits her in any way. The girl who once ruined my life and after her, I was never the same.

People like her don't deserve to get a happy ending so my frustration was justified when I watched her getting appointed as the secretary of the CEO in this multinational company. Besides, even if God has written a perfect story for her, why did she end up in this same place as mine?

After six years of messing with my mind, why is she back? Why can't she just leave me alone?

And after doing so, she had the nerve to ask me if this job was a revenge.

Revenge? Like I would waste one more second of my life on this self-centered, spoilt brat.

After I returned to my office, I flopped on my chair, breathing hard until my heartbeat slowed down. To add to my misery, her office was right in front of mine and through the glass window, I could caught her reflection sitting on the desk and looking around awkwardly, acting like she was the most innocent girl in the world.

Fuck me.

She had changed a lot look wise, her face didn't look caked with makeup like it used to do, her straightened hair were now styled in her natural waves and the dress she was wearing was decent and mature. But I was sure her personality was still the same, like the cunning fox she was.

Because of her, I couldn't focus on my work anymore. Like I had expected, she was still a trouble for me. One glance at her stupid face and bam, there goes my attention span.

The face I used to adore.

I spent the next two hours thinking about her, to a point that I was minutes away from pulling my hair. Her presence in this building was suffocating me, even though I had closed the curtains and now, I wasn't even watching her.

When I couldn't contain my irritation anymore, I texted Amber that I had to leave because of a preoccupation and walked out of my office during the lunchtime. I was about to storm off from the hallway when my eyes fixated on her, sitting in her office chair, making notes of the files instead of having lunch.

The Clara I knew wouldn't like to sit alone during lunch time. She would prefer socialising to working alone in an office any day. Seeing her like this irked me and I averted my eyes to stop her face from flashing in front of my eyes.

I need to get away from this girl.

Leaving the office, I walked towards the parking lot where my driver was waiting for me. Once I sat inside the car and he revved the engine, my breathing turned even and I let out a relaxing sigh.

...

Once my fourth drink finished, I asked the bartender to pour another one. Right now, my mind was a mess and the only way to clear it was drinking. I knew I was going to regret it tomorrow morning, considering I had to go to office in my hangover state.

The bartender slid the glass towards me and before I could hold it, someone gripped the glass and pulled it away from me.