49. A New Beginning

Clara

It's been a week since I moved out of the apartment, a week since I have talked to anybody. Weirdly, nobody tried to contact me except Ava. Maybe everyone had already decided that they were better off without me and I wasn't worth chasing.

That's what I wanted. Right? Then why is their a constant nagging feeling in my stomach?

Ava texted me that she told Aaron about everything that had happened to me. I didn't know how to react to this piece of news and I didn't know how Aaron reacted either. Does he feel pity for me? Does he feel disgust? For him, I was probably a broken toy now who was irreparable. I wanted to ask Ava but I needed some time to figure things out so I didn't reply.

The last week had been a hell on Earth. The whole time, I just wandered here and there in my apartment, in years old hoodie and trousers. I didn't feel like doing anything or taking a bath or cooking food for me. The empty pizza boxes lying on the floor were a proof of that.

I was finally moving forwards. I had an aim, a pathway to follow but losing this job once again pushed me deep into the depressing well.

This morning, I finally received a call for an interview in a new company. After a week of staying in dirty clothes, I finally took a bath and changed into a fresh sundress. After my hair dried, I put them up in a messy bun, with few locks on the front loosely hanging around my face.

While I was rehearsing for the interview, the doorbell rang. At first, I got startled at this but then I comforted myself by telling that it was just the landlord probably. Although I had already paid the debt by the money Amber sent in my account. It was far more than I would need in the coming months and I decided that once I saved enough with a new job, I'll return the money to her.

Sighing, I walked towards the door and opened it, revealing the person whose sight made me gasp in surprise.

"Good morning." Aaron smiled at me. His hands loosely tucked inside his jeans pocket and his hair set messily, giving him a casual look.

"Um... G.. Good morning." I stuttered nervously. "What are you doing here?"

"What do you think?" he smiled.

He smiled, as if everything was alright between us.

"I am sorry Aaron but if you're here to talk then-"

"Who said I'm here for a talk? I just wanted to borrow sugar." he said and I frowned.

Does he think I am stupid?

"Do you really want me to believe that you accidentally came all the way to this side of Seattle and then you accidentally stumbled into this very building, just to stop at this floor, for sugar?" I said in an irritated voice at his lie. I mean if he wanted to lie, he could've make a good excuse.

"Of course not, Clara. I'm not dumb." he said nonchalantly and I rolled my eyes. "I wanted to make coffee and I had no sugar. So I just walked out of my apartment and knocked on the door of my neighbour. Plausible?"

He lied so carelessly that it made my fingers itch in exasperation. "Neighbour? You aren't my neighbour unless you-" I stopped mid-sentence and watched the half-opened door of the other apartment on this floor. "Wait. You... You... You're kidding.?"

"No, I am not." he smirked again and pulled out the keys from his pocket.

"But... But why?" I asked, bulging my eyes out of the sockets. My mind was a mess right now and his presence was not doing me any favours.

"Well for starters, my Dad and I had a small fight so I moved out of that house." he said, leaning against my doorframe. His masculine scent was invading my senses, causing a turbulence inside me.

"And... And there was no other apartment in the city?" I asked, gulping hard. I felt anxious in his presence and I wanted him out of my sight as soon as possible. He was not good for my sanity.

"There was. But you see, this building is close to my office and rates were really good." he answered smoothly.

"Oh right. The office which is at least half an hour away from this site." I squinted my eyes.

"No. The office which is five minutes away from here and where I am the boss." he said, shrugging.

"What?" I yelled in confusion.

"I have resigned from Steven Industries." he answered.

"What? Why in the world would you do that?" I exclaimed, shifting on my legs.

This was probably the longest conversations we had in my whole life. We had our share of issues but we never fought or argued. Maybe that's what led us to doom.

"Because Mrs. Steven insulted someone who is very precious to me." he said and my heart skipped a beat. I felt heat crawling up my neck and I had to look away to stop myself from blushing.

"She didn't insult me at all." I whispered, biting my lips.

"Why do you think I was talking about you?" he raised his eyebrows and I flushed in embarrassment. Amusement played in his eyes on watching my confusion and I flushed even more, if that was possible.

"You know what, I thought after knowing all that, you'd be.... You'd be.. You'd be.." I wanted to complete the sentence but couldn't.

"Nice?" he completed for me. I slightly nodded and his smirk widened at that. Suddenly, he took a step towards me and I felt his warm breath on my forehead, tickling me.

"I'm not planning on being nice with you Clara." he whispered in a deep voice and a shiver ran down my spine.

"What do you mean?" I asked, fighting the shaking of my tongue.

He let out a small, deep chuckle that reverberated through my whole being. My eyes fell to his plump lips and I turned red at our proximity.

"I guess..." he leaned forwards, his eyes boring into mine. "I guess I'll have to manage without sugar."

Saying that, he walked away into his apartment and I kept standing in the hallway, with crimson face and a weird tingling in my belly.

_______________________

Any thoughts about our new improved Aaron?

Want another update today?