14. The Vincent Brothers

Clara

Six years ago

My breaths were coming out in gasps as I struggled to send oxygen towards my lungs. But Ryan didn't let me. He continued telling me his funny experiences and I kept splitting in loud laughs.

"And guess what? I threw her in the swimming pool and her wig flew out. And to everyone's surprise, Miss. Blondie turned out to be a brunette. Nobody in the high school knew she was not a real blonde." he said and another booming laugh erupted from my mouth, as I crunched forwards, holding my stomach.

By the time he stopped the car in front of my house, my eyes were red and moistened due to the lack of oxygen. Taking some long, deep breaths, I walked out of his car.

He had taken me to watch a new release and after that, we had dinner in a restaurant. Throughout the dinner, my phone screen kept flashing with the calls from Aaron's number but I didn't want it to spoil our evening.

"Come inside." I offered him. His eyes switched between my face and our house and after contemplating for about five minutes, he exited the car and made his way towards the gate.

Mom and Dad were probably inside their room so I led him upstairs, into mine. Opening the door, a room designed in purple and white theme welcomed us. Entering inside, I sat down on the bed and he flopped down beside me.

"Nice room." He said, looking around.

"Well that's me. I have a great taste." I smirked, crossing my legs and supporting my elbows on them.

"Clearly." he winked with a cheeky grin and I flushed for the tenth time that night.

"Whatever, Mr. Arrogant." I rolled my eyes and stood up. "Make yourself comfortable. I'll be back in a minute." I said, walking towards my cupboard to pull out my pajamas. Leaving him playing a game on his mobile, I walked into my bathroom to take a shower.

Throughout the time I spent in the bathroom, I couldn't wipe off the smile from my mouth. I have never felt this way about anyone. I liked his company, his presence, his attractiveness, everything about him. He didn't have any fault, there was nothing despicable or hideous about him. He is perfect, in every possible way.

Too bad, the ring in my finger was a barrier to my happiness.

I thought and looked at the ring in my finger with a sense of unresolved anger. After taking the shower, I slipped into my crop top and pajama pants. Once I returned to my room, Ryan's eyes left his mobile screen and traveled down my body, a hint of admiration flashed his eyes.

Not wanting to turn into a tomato, I walked towards my mirror and began drying my hair with a towel.

"So would you like to eat something?" I asked, my eyes still focused on the mirror. When he didn't reply anything, I turned around to look at him but he wasn't on the bed.

Suddenly, I felt his fingers on my bare arm. Gasping, I faced him and found him staring at my face with dilated pupils. My breath hitched at the intensity in his eyes and a shiver ran down my spine.

"Ryan." I whispered when he stepped towards me, his delicious scent teasing my senses.

"Clara." he whispered back, his deep voice reverberating through my being.

He took one step forwards and I took one backwards. My heart was thumping because of his proximity, my knees felt weak under my weight. With every step, the distance between us just kept on decreasing, until he snake his arm around me and erased it completely.

Butterflies erupted in my stomach when his lips landed on mine, the softness made my heart burst out of my chest. It wasn't my first kiss but the passion I felt, its something I have never experienced before.

It was wrong, but it felt so good.

He deepened the kiss, tracing every nook and corner of my mouth. His hands left my waist and moved downwards, towards my ass until he cupped it gently and gave a squeeze.

A moan left my mouth and before we could do anything else, the door to my room knocked. In panic, I jumped away from Ryan and watched him widened eyes.

"Clara, it's Aaron here. Can I come inside?" a familiar voice reached my ears.

"What is he doing here?" Ryan asked, panic written on his face just like mine.

"I don't know. This is the first time he came into our house." I said in response and led him to the cupboard, guiding him inside and locking it from outside.

Once everything looked normal, I opened the door, revealing the standing figure of Aaron with a small box in his hands.

"Can I come inside?" he asked, a shy smile on his lips.

"Y.. Yeah sure." I said, gulping hard.

He entered inside and after hesitating for a moment, sat down on the edge on my bed. I sat beside him and looked at the box in his hands.

"Here. It's a gift for you." he said, two tiny pink dot appeared on his cheeks. Narrowing my eyes, I unwrapped the box, uncovering the white pearly necklace inside it. "I thought you'd like jewelry."

"Any reason for this gift?" I asked in confusion, tracing my fingers along the pearls.

"Um.. Its.. You are going to be my.. Wife. That's why." he whispered, running his hand through his hair.

"Aaron, you know that our marriage is just a deal." I said to him, placing the gift back on his lap.

His smile turned into a frown and he stared at the gift in his lap. "But still, I think with some effort, we can make it work."

"Are you serious? You aren't planning on being married with me for a lifetime." I laughed, throwing my head back.

By the time my laughter stopped, I observed the grieved face of Aaron and pity brewed inside me. "Look Aaron, you're nice and all. But we are two really different people. I don't think we can ever work." I told him.

"What's the harm in trying?" he asked in a serious voice.

"Well, it would be nothing but a waste of time. Because let me be honest, I don't think I can ever fall for someone like you." I muttered honestly.

"Someone like me? Someone who is willing to help you and your family without asking anything in return?" he leaned his head to a side and stared into my eyes.

Something about his gaze made me feel vulnerable so I immediately looked away. "I think you should go. It's getting late." I said.

"But-" he started to say something but I stood up, walking away from the bed. When I didn't cast a glance towards him, he finally let out a deep sigh and left.

I was too tired because of this drama that I asked Ryan to leave too, making sure that I'd call him tomorrow morning. After he left, I lay down and the events of tonight ran through my mind.

I was caught in between two brothers and this shit was getting complicated with every passing day.

_______________________