42. Once A Cheater

Aaron

"I said I never slept with anyone except Ryan." she screamed, frustration dripping from her voice.

I retreated some steps, blinking hard at her sitting figure. It took my drunken mind some time to understand her words and when I did, I chuckled humorlessly.

"You are lying." I claimed.

"I am not a liar." she defended herself, standing up from the bench.

"You are lying Clara." I said again, afraid of admitting the possibility of her being correct. It would mean everything I ever believed was a lie.

"I won't say it again Aaron. I never slept with anyone except Ryan." she said, her voice thickened with grief. She looked like she was trying so hard to control her tears.

"No." I heaved. "Ryan said you cheated on him." I said, running my fingers through my hair. It felt like someone had slapped me hard on my face.

"Ryan said? What do you mean Ryan said? Is he back?" she asked and her face contorted at his name.

I ignored her question, my mind still stuck on her words. "You didn't cheat on him with his friend?"

"Did he tell you that?" she mumbled, a lone tear streamed down her left cheek. "Of course he did. And you believed him. Why won't you?"

"I.. I.." I didn't know what to say.

"You forgave him for the same mistake I did. You forgave him while I have been suffering here day and night, drowning in guilt." there was a hint of accusation in her voice.

"I didn't forgive him." I told her. "I just... I believed him. Because when he told us that you cheated again.... It was easy to digest."

On hearing my words, grief filled her face and I regretted my choice of words. It hurt me to see her cry and as much as I wanted, I couldn't do anything at that moment.

"Of course. Once a cheater, always a cheater." she whispered, putting a fake smile on her face. Before I could say anything, she turned around.

"Clara, listen to me." I ran behind her and gripped her wrist.

"Don't." she said and pulled her hand away. "Just don't. Leave me alone." This time, I didn't stop her because first, I needed to do something.

...

"Why do you need his address?" Dad asked from the other side of the phone.

"Just tell me where he is staying. I need to talk to him." I said in an exhausted voice.

"Green Valley Hotel." he told me and I memorized the name. "Just don't do anything rash."

"Don't worry. I just want to talk to my brother." I clenched my teeth and cut the call. The drive back to the city was almost two hours and even though the cab driver refused at first, I offered him a decent sum if he could drive me back there.

I had already texted Amber that I won't be traveling back with them, because of an emergency. Thankfully, she didn't ask further.