50. Pushing The Buttons

Clara

Sitting outside the room where the interview was being held, I tapped my sandal on the floor in anxiety. The reason being the man who had invaded my privacy. I wonder what made him move to the same building as mine. What was he planning to do? I tried but I couldn't figure out what he wants.

Honestly, I thought after knowing the truth about me, he would either not talk to me at all or he would fake politeness to me in pity. Internally, I was afraid of both of these reactions. But his actions resembled neither of those. He acted like I was a normal human being, not some maniac who is unstable because of everything that happened to her.

I was lost in these thoughts when suddenly, a man called my name and told me that its my turn. Bracing myself, I walked inside the office of the chief operating officer.

In front of me, a relatively short man supporting a salt and pepper beard was sitting on the seat. He smiled when he found me standing there and motioned me to sit.

"Are you comfortable? Would you like something to drink?" he asked.

At first, I thought it was a trick question and I was supposed to say no but then he stood up without asking and put a glass filled with water in front of me.

Weird!

He just cast a small glance at my resume and then put it aside. "I think you're suitable for this job."

I narrowed my eyes and processed what he said. "But you didn't ask anything."

There were many men and women that went inside before me and they spent minimum fifteen minutes in this interview. Even if he was a pervert who was giving me this job just because he found me attractive, it didn't make sense. There were many beautiful women that took the interview before me.

"It doesn't matter. I know a responsible person when I see one." he answered, still supporting the smile. "The salary is up for negotiation. We are starting with 10 thousand dollars a month but if you have any issue, we can talk about it."

"T.. Ten thousand? For a secretary job?" I stuttered. Who in the right mind would give this much money to someone who didn't stay a year on their previous job?

"Yes." his smiled widened.

There's something wrong.

"Thank you Mr. Tennor but I need some time to think about-"

"There is nothing to think about Mrs. Vincent. We can negotiate if you have any issue." he said in a worried voice.

"What did you call me?" I asked and his face paled suddenly. Pulling out a handkerchief from his pocket, he wiped the sweat off his forehead.

Anger filled my mind after I understood why he was willing to give me this job.

"Did Aaron Vincent ask you to give me this position?" I glowered at him and he coughed to clear his throat.

"N.. No." he stammered.

"Bullshit." I said and then walked out of that room, ignoring the pleas of that man.

...

"Open the door." I knocked at his door repeatedly. Right now, I was fuming with anger at his attempt of meddling with my job.

What does he think of himself? Barging in the building is one thing but he can't just interfere with my professional life like that.

Once he opened the door, my eyes widened. In front of me, Aaron Vincent was standing in the glory of his naked chest and toned abs.

"Yes?" he said, crossing his arms in front of his chest and his biceps bulged out.

"I... Um.. I.." I fought the urge to ogle his toned body that made me forget what I was going to say.

Yes.

"You can't do that." I said in a defensive tone, crossing my arms.

"I think I can. By the way, what are we talking about?" he said and I huffed in annoyance.

Without listening to me, he walked inside his apartment and I had to follow him inside unwantingly.

"You can't just bribe someone into giving me the job." I claimed once we were inside the living room.

"What are you talking about?" he asked and sat down on the couch. My eyes automatically fell to his smooth skin and rippling muscles and I stifled a curse.

"You know damn well what I am talking about." I fumed in frustration. He was knowingly pushing my buttons and it was making me edgy.

"I didn't bribe anybody. He himself was willing to give you the job when I told him who you were." he smirked and I wanted to wipe that smirk off his face. Why was he acting like this?

"And who exactly am I?" I raised my eyebrows.

Smiling, he stood up and walked towards me. The feeling of his bare body this close to me was giving me strange feels.

Focus.

"You're Aaron Vincent's wife and the only daughter of Richard Avery." he whispered, his face suddenly turned serious as his eyes zeroed into my eyes.

I lost my ability to talk for a moment. This was the first time after my return when he was claiming me as his wife. It felt strangely pleasing in a way but it was just a beautiful mirage.

"I am nobody." I mumbled under my breath. For a moment, his eyes depicted the emotion that I was afraid of seeing but then he turned around and once again sat down, plastering another smile on his face.

"Leave me alone Aaron." I begged. I didn't want him around. He was just wasting his time by being with someone like me. I didn't deserve his presence.

"I am not leaving you alone." he stated in a firm voice.

"I'm used to being on my own." I whispered, lowering my gaze to the floor.

"You are used to, doesn't mean you have to." he responded.

Groaning, I walked out of his apartment and stormed into mine. Closing the door, I sat down in the living room and hid my face in between my hands.

It was evident that he was not giving up easily this time. I don't know what he wanted from me. Did he want to push me to breaking point or does he want to heal me? I couldn't figure it out.

______________________

Follow me on Instagram. My username is @me_mahu12

What do you think Aaron is planning to do?