40. Caught In The Lies

Clara

Six years ago

When I woke up, I found myself lying on a bed and the room around me looked like it was a hospital room. My suspicion strengthened when I saw a woman walking towards me, dressed in pink scrubs with a file in her hand.

"How are you feeling?" she asked once she reached me. I nodded, mumbling to her that I felt fine. She checked my pulse rate and then helped me in sitting up on the bed.

"Who brought me here?" I asked.

"Your coworker, Diana." she said and I nodded in recognition. She must have found me unconscious on the floor.

"What's wrong with me Doctor?" I asked. I have watched in movies that if someone gets dizzy a lot, they are often diagnosed with a serious brain issue or something.

"Getting unconscious in the first trimester is more common than you one might think. So you don't need to worry. Just focus on your diet. I think you aren't feeding enough." she said, smiling at me.

"Wait. First trimester?" I asked, my eyes widening in surprise.

"Yes. You know about your pregnancy, right?" she said and my head started spinning. Never in my dreams did I imagine that I would end up pregnant.

"No. No. That's not possible. There must be some mistake." I panicked, trying to stand up. I couldn't stay in this room for another moment.

The nurse that came with the doctor immediately moved forwards to stop me.

"It is pretty clear from your tests that you're 8 weeks pregnant. Didn't you keep track of your periods?" she asked, patting my arm in a soothing manner.

"I... I just... I thought it is because of stress. I mean we used protection. Shit. Please tell me you're kidding?" I almost begged, tears coming out from my eyes in a stream.

The doctor kept staring at me as if I was some wild animal on loose. "Should I call someone? A family member? A partner maybe?" she asked.

"No. I need to go." I stood up, despite the protests of her. "I have a job. I.. I need to go away from here."

"Clara!" she tried to stop me but I had already bolted out of my room. From a corner, I saw Diana walking towards me. She reached me and put her arms around me so she could help me in walking.

"I am fine." I tried to resist but she didn't pull away her hand. At last, I let her help me as she led me to an elevator and motioned something to the doctor.

Once we reached her car in the parking lot, I seated myself in the passenger seat and she sat on the driver seat. Inside the car where nobody was watching me, I broke down. I cried like there was no tomorrow, ignoring the pleas of Diana to tell her what was wrong.

"No. This can't be happening
Fuck. Fucking hell." I exasperated, whimpering hard.

"Clara! Let me help you. What's the issue? Is this child not your boyfriend's?" she asked and that made me remember how I haven't told anyone about what happened in the past few weeks.

"He... He had left. I'm alone. Shit. I don't even have a place to live. What am I supposed to do? How can I bear his child? Why is this happening to me?" I blubbered.